Sign in to follow this  
Gary Chase

T800 Kenworth Logging truck

IMG_0116.thumb.jpeg.aafeee74b692ea69b92dfaa6101ee0ac.jpegWasn’t sure where this build was going but after some thought and accumulated parts. Well a newer style log truck is the build…….so far. The red Kenworth is the neighbors truck and is the inspiration. They run the single wide tires all the way around, air lift axles everywhere. I got a bunch of reference pictures and measurements. The beds are 26 ft long. 
got the beds roughed out. 
IMG_1795.thumb.jpeg.5ae8008e40799c857eb58e283a0f508c.jpeg

getting to work on the trailer. 
IMG_1801.thumb.jpeg.e5ba812cbd3aca050445643c774d76e0.jpeg

• Like 1

This will be a neat build. You’ve got a great start. Does the second axle have a passive or active steering system? Also, how many of the drive axles are powered? I’ve seen those trucks during trips to northern Michigan, but I’ve never checked them out up close.

10 hours ago, vincen47 said:

This will be a neat build. You’ve got a great start. Does the second axle have a passive or active steering system? Also, how many of the drive axles are powered? I’ve seen those trucks during trips to northern Michigan, but I’ve never checked them out up close.

The newer loggers have a second steering axle, older ones had a non-steering lift axle. Most of these trucks are twin screw, very rare to see a tri-drive up here. They have an air lift in front and behind the drive axles. When I talk to the guys, the conversation is always about a lighter truck to carry more pay load and who is getting the most decked out new truck. 

• Thanks 1

IMG_1803.thumb.jpeg.1100852e794ffc81f6e0f3e8c064cf2e.jpegDoing a little research last night on the T800. I didn’t realize that Kenworth still offers the T800 in a flat windshield (like the W900) and a curved windshield (like the T600, one piece glass and two piece glass). It was offer in a long hood, short hood and wide hood. Also noticed that you could get it with the newer doors (no vent window and step down window) as well as the standard door with vent window. By picking up a T800 hood from ST Supply you could build several versions of new Kenworth trucks, being that non of the molded makers are producing much of the newer trucks. 

• Like 1

I've always liked the T800 -- a great truck that has stood the test of time for decades now.

Did not know that about the windshields. Thanks for the info.

Johnny

3 hours ago, Eric said:

Gee Gary thars a lot of super singles!

Yup, I just got enough, the newer logging trucks run singles all around, a couple years ago, just the lift axles where wide singles, prior to that they ran duals on all axles except steering. 

Been looking for the late model cab, bought a couple to find they are just not very good quality. This week Global Model Trucks came out with two hood versions and I ordered both. See how these work out. IMG_1816.thumb.png.4260e769b554fbf05f78d540a83d34bb.pngIMG_1817.thumb.png.109051fb62bdec2441dc7ac2f098e6f1.png

9 minutes ago, Chris K said:

Those look pretty nice.

They do in pictures, I will post up how the fit, quality and adjustments when I get them. 

2 hours ago, Gary Chase said:

They do in pictures, I will post up how the fit, quality and adjustments when I get them. 

I haven’t ordered anything from them yet, so I’m looking forward to your opinion.

50 minutes ago, vincen47 said:

I haven’t ordered anything from them yet, so I’m looking forward to your opinion.

Will do, I will go over it before I do anything to it. 

• Thanks 1