Sign in to follow this  
Gary Chase

Redo of a Kenworth T600

25FD5E03-AC58-4F3D-852A-88696185986E.thumb.jpeg.9f3ee973370a36c425798cddeb4ed4f5.jpegWhat’s back on the bench? This is a build I started earlier this year and just wasn’t happy with how it was coming together. I picked up another T600 kit, photo etched Kenworth stuff and some other items. Using the new cab without fairings so I can put exhaust stacks on , opened up the grill to add screen behind the openings. Going to remove the molded in Kenworth logos, repaint cab and hood. Did get the engine built. So yup, two steps back to start over. 

Sometimes hard to backtrack, but I’m sure it’ll be better in the end. I like how you’ve opened up the grille. Are you planning to integrate the grille shroud into the hood? AMT shouldn’t have made it a separate part for this era T600.

41 minutes ago, vincen47 said:

Sometimes hard to backtrack, but I’m sure it’ll be better in the end. I like how you’ve opened up the grille. Are you planning to integrate the grille shroud into the hood? AMT shouldn’t have made it a separate part for this era T600.

Yes, I’m trying to save the chrome grill/hood ornament at the same time. The kit has the wrong suspension, the sleeper is a real pain, the fuel tanks where crap and so on. Kinda why I stopped working on it and gathered a new plan

• Like 1

Quick mock-up after first color on, new cab, new hood with molded in grill, different front bumper. Got the headache rack painted as well  D3545061-C257-4256-85AA-2A73438D25B9.thumb.jpeg.9e8628ab6be9c05a15cb12f03c2bc3d7.jpeg2B7A3D37-7F2B-4785-A23B-F5185B6D3574.thumb.jpeg.15bb58ae435863ef16c7c7851e1cb3e9.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnny M said:

WoW!   That thing is lookin' sharp. Also excellent spray painting skilz 👍

Johnny

Thank you, working today on the six rear fenders and tail light assembly, then paint them blue along with the front fenders

Fab work on rear fenders completed, except final glue up. Got two coats of paint on the rear fenders, now let dry then wet sand, apply two more coats. Next, second color on front fenders. 28D37265-ADFE-4039-BE97-C2D4617507D9.thumb.jpeg.eb63775d5dc2ea3aba41f162fb0dd1be.jpeg

...Which tape did you use?  Reason I asked is that I had the same issue a couple of times doing two tone colors.  I was told to use Tamiya Yellow 10 mm. tape for the wider areas and the White 2 mm. tape for curves, etc.  I have not had any issues, so far, with the Tamiya tapes so long as they are burnished before applying any paint.  If I still have any doubts, I'll shoot a light clear coat or the color that is being covered up,...... in the case of your KW a light coat of the lighter color that will be under the Blue.... on the tape to seal the edges so as not to allow any seepage and it also seems to help prevent paint from being peeled off when removing the tape.                           

14 hours ago, Brian Conn said:

...Which tape did you use?  Reason I asked is that I had the same issue a couple of times doing two tone colors.  I was told to use Tamiya Yellow 10 mm. tape for the wider areas and the White 2 mm. tape for curves, etc.  I have not had any issues, so far, with the Tamiya tapes so long as they are burnished before applying any paint.  If I still have any doubts, I'll shoot a light clear coat or the color that is being covered up,...... in the case of your KW a light coat of the lighter color that will be under the Blue.... on the tape to seal the edges so as not to allow any seepage and it also seems to help prevent paint from being peeled off when removing the tape.                           

Tamiya 2mm white for the paint line. , I have yellow but never used it as a paint line. I just finished my International 5600 build using the same process with no issues with paint line but this time , no success. 

That transition from a vertical surface (hood) to a horizontal surface (fender) can be tricky, especially since there is a slight curve and not a 90 degree angle to work with....might try the sealing of the tape method that I previously mentioned. 

22 hours ago, Brian Conn said:

That transition from a vertical surface (hood) to a horizontal surface (fender) can be tricky, especially since there is a slight curve and not a 90 degree angle to work with....might try the sealing of the tape method that I previously mentioned. 

Yes, will give it a try. I still have the other hood (grill not molded in) and paint work is complete. Will try to save the hood first but have a backup plan. 

Tanks will be only partially visible with the aero skirts on but I just couldn’t use them as is. They just don’t look good. Getting the paint on the hood repaired as well. ED8AFCB4-657F-44BF-9EBF-4F8C8EF4E036.thumb.jpeg.f71fa680cef53b6afca8dde7f68d4ea3.jpeg

Rear fenders mounted, lights on, custom fuel tanks mounted, built aero skirt supports and mounted them. Think I will shorten the exhaust, but making progress. Finish up interior and cab next. 755CDBF7-1CBF-4D66-A93A-B9F64A52F1EA.thumb.jpeg.80ec1d07dee4e4522f8fbd66934385ca.jpeg

Took a break from the truck today and started the trailer build. Using the AMT Lowboy kit as the donor. Will not use the beaver tail, will stretch to 40ft. Build a set of 10 hole wheels. Paint will be turquoise for the frame and semi gloss black for suspension/axles. 369F89D4-4EE8-42E9-9716-A959133566F7.thumb.jpeg.caee9aca528f1005966583b04e0ca412.jpeg

• Like 1

Fab work nearly completed, didn’t realize the kit has no dolly legs so I got to fab some up. Some finish work on the frame then color. BD32AF5F-2455-406A-9246-A39593A81605.thumb.jpeg.56bbc77b6c0fb6b17e0d4f4de535610b.jpeg

1 hour ago, Johnny M said:

Ooo -- lovin' the emergency lights on the roof!

Johnny

Thanks, probably going to do something on the rear of the trailer as well for a flashing yellow light. Similar to me 53ft trailer. 4579FB70-6331-4A82-A925-CD6AF96874A1.thumb.jpeg.a297721c657ba2071b31b84afdc8ad4d.jpeg