Jersee Jerry55

New Revell Snap W900

Just got this Revell Kw W900 the other day. Looking to paint her as a fleet unit from one the colors shown in the picture. Unsure of which one. In addition do I paint the frame in semi gloss Black or same color as the cab & hood? Help as always most appreciated.

E86976D5-47B4-4B96-80FC-F5248CDF6336.jpeg

D6FF5A67-038F-4A03-B6AB-F101D55CD5B5.jpeg

For a fleet truck, the basic black frame would be most common, especially these days. Though, back in the day of this w9, a fleet truck with a different color chassis would certainly be possible, but you can’t go wrong with a black chassis.

For the body color, a basic single-color paint scheme would be most common, in the most popular vehicle colors of that era, like red, orange, brown, blue, green, and black. Think 70’s shades.

Much less common these days, but back in that era when the truck was new, a basic stripe pattern would often be seen, even on some fleet trucks. The white decals that come with the kit are a good choice, nothing too fancy, but they do the job. Any one of the typical popular colors would go well with the white stripes.

Back in those days, it wouldn’t be uncommon for a small fleet to show a sense of pride and spend a little extra to make the trucks look the part. Today, though there are some nice looking fleets out there, you’ll find more of the plain, no frills solid color, like white with a black frame. But the w9 was, and still is, a premium truck, especially with the aerodyne sleeper. If it’s a fleet truck, then you could say it’s part of a fleet that’s making money, and it shows.

On 8/22/2023 at 10:30 PM, vincen47 said:

For a fleet truck, the basic black frame would be most common, especially these days. Though, back in the day of this w9, a fleet truck with a different color chassis would certainly be possible, but you can’t go wrong with a black chassis.

For the body color, a basic single-color paint scheme would be most common, in the most popular vehicle colors of that era, like red, orange, brown, blue, green, and black. Think 70’s shades.

Much less common these days, but back in that era when the truck was new, a basic stripe pattern would often be seen, even on some fleet trucks. The white decals that come with the kit are a good choice, nothing too fancy, but they do the job. Any one of the typical popular colors would go well with the white stripes.

Back in those days, it wouldn’t be uncommon for a small fleet to show a sense of pride and spend a little extra to make the trucks look the part. Today, though there are some nice looking fleets out there, you’ll find more of the plain, no frills solid color, like white with a black frame. But the w9 was, and still is, a premium truck, especially with the aerodyne sleeper. If it’s a fleet truck, then you could say it’s part of a fleet that’s making money, and it shows.

Vince47 thank you for the reply. I actually miswrote what I actually meant. I meant to write an O/O leased to a company outfit. I'd like to get decal stripes for her from an aftermarket decal company but don't trust myself to work with anything I'd buy on the internet. I have to consider it long and hard on what I want to attempt.

1 hour ago, Jersee Jerry55 said:

Vince47 thank you for the reply. I actually miswrote what I actually meant. I meant to write an O/O leased to a company outfit. I'd like to get decal stripes for her from an aftermarket decal company but don't trust myself to work with anything I'd buy on the internet. I have to consider it long and hard on what I want to attempt.

Makes sense. The w900 would be a perfect o/o truck leased out.

21 minutes ago, vincen47 said:

Makes sense. The w900 would be a perfect o/o truck leased out.

I also have the re done AMT IH Transtar 4070a that I have cracked open and started somewhat. My clear favorite semi tractor of all time. I am hesitant to move forward as quickly as I should have been all along. But I do not want to screw it up. This one I am set on color(s) and livery. Royal Blue, and the livery will be Loadmasters. I just have to get my courage in order to proceed.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jersee Jerry55 said:

Thank you. The KW or the 4070A?

Kw, actually I just noticed I have collected two of them. Got way more kits than I can build🥴

The 4070A kit was also my first kit back in 1974 and I liked it so much back then that I'll probably build it again sometime.

With an o/o the colour choices are endless as usually an o/o would custom order the truck they wanted with their choice of engine , transmission,rear end ratios, fuel tanks ,etc

With Peter built their frames would have been a satin black colour but you could order you frame in any colour to match your body colour or to contrast it if you liked and I'm sure Kenworth would do the same for a price.

Most trucks if not spec ordered in a specific colour would come black usually a satin or matte black I personally like my model frames in a flat black as the satin looks just a bit too shiny for my liking.

But remember this is your build make it any way you like and enjoy your self.

Ps:  if you prime the body with black primer then paint with that bright yellow you might get close to the rider colours on the box 

Okay so this project was put away for awhile but I just pulled her out again, this morning. Paint was laid down last year. This build is an outside my normal box that I do with truck kits. Should have maybe 80% of her done by EOD on Sunday. Will post pics at that point on my progress. Going out on a limb as I believe this may be the best "snap together" I've ever done. I love these kits.

• Like 1