Cornbinder

LoneStar Day Cab- Custom Job

I started this thing about three years ago- it's been an "on and off" project ever since. Mostly "off". I work on it when I feel like it. B|

After getting the kit, I put in a call to Models By Dave for the cab and the grille, which is patterned after the Harley Davidson edition.

3-vi_zps5iptuik6.jpg

I had originally planned to go with round headlights, so the stock headlight openings in the fenders were filled in.

5-vi_zpscvvcyx94.jpg

I painted the lower part of the bumper in textured semi-gloss black paint.

73436f27-vi_zpskffnhwky.jpg

I cut 58 scale inches out of the wheelbase, and painted the engine the color I had chosen for the cab... Duplicolor School Bus Yellow.

e5ac4813-vi_zpshbrvnnzh.jpg

The interior was color keyed in School Bus Yellow and good old basic semi-gloss black. The steering wheel came from a Monogram '55 Ford.

dda9a173_zps8t9ulk9q.jpg

A little bit of tinkering and I had this...

5ae40425.jpg

You can see that I opted to shave the LoneStar scripts, as well as the door handles. I may leave the doors smooth, but it's still up in the air. I might add some old-style grab handles, or slam locks. I decided not to go with headlights on the fenders... we'll just say that the former fog lights now house regular headlights. 

A while later... I finally settled on a tank setup... I pirated some tanks from a Revell Peterbilt 359. That same kit also coughed up a headache rack. Both were finished in the same semi-gloss black paint as the fenders and frame. K&S aluminum was used to make the new stacks.

002_zpsrnvmv1h1.jpg

I nabbed the quarter fenders from a Revell Kenworth snap kit. This piece has since been painted semigloss black and installed. I'm thinking I'll add some AITM diamond-plate tool boxes underneath the headache rack and make up some steps. 

006_zps05qlc2ef.jpg

I'm hoping that maybe I'll have this thing finished by year's end... :D

Well, this one just got a lot closer to finished...

The toolboxes I ordered from AITM showed up. The more I looked at that dead air under the deck of the headache rack, the less I liked it. I figured the toolboxes would be a good way to fill it in. I went with a 24" box on the driver's side, with the modified factory toolbox just behind it.

005_zpsvnnmvxul.jpg

For the passenger's side, I went with the 48" box.

006_zpsrow5aefo.jpg

A deck plate and a few other doodads and this one will be a done deal. Maybe.