Sign in to follow this  
Cornbinder

1969 Autocar A64F

I've been working on this for a while, but I've been making some progress on it lately again, so here it is.

001_zpsb13df4jf.jpg

So far, it has consumed parts from an AMT White Road Boss (cab/interior, suspension), AMT Autocar A64B (rear frame rails and taillights and more parts to be used later),  a set of TL Model Trucks frame rails, and a conversion hood set from AITM. Here is an early mockup- I later removed the lettering from the hood sides. 

002_zpsia2aj6ek.jpg

Here I have added the A64B battery boxes, along with that kit's five-hole front wheels. I later removed the lift axle- it may or may not return in more detailed form. You can also see that I have removed the Autocar hood scripts- the areas have since been puttied. The project pretty much stalled right here until a few days ago, when the Detroit V12 I wanted to put in in showed up. That's not the fault of the caster- it's all my fault because I kept holding off on ordering!

004_zpsvglamjz0.jpg

The GW Trucks engine assembles easily and looks great. I used Polly Scale Vermont Green- it is a decent match for Detroit Alpine Green. I will need to rethink the location of the alternator, but with the addition of some locator blocks for the bellhousing and a front engine mount cut from .040" plastic card, I think I'm onto something. 

Very nice work. I havent seen this hood used on anything yet. The only 1:1s Ive seen like this were loggers. Ive seen one with a mercury sleeper that looked awesome. Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, AutocarJones said:

Very nice work. I havent seen this hood used on anything yet. The only 1:1s Ive seen like this were loggers. Ive seen one with a mercury sleeper that looked awesome. Keep up the good work.

Dave recently re-released the AT64F, so there goes 80 bucks. xD I have the notion to do that one up as a wrecker. 

13 minutes ago, Cornbinder said:

Dave recently re-released the AT64F, so there goes 80 bucks. xD I have the notion to do that one up as a wrecker. 

I have one of those set aside to build this dude

3B0F4C41-E13C-4334-AD5F-6A2F4DC03226_zps

or this one

9D0D7E50-8B30-4840-A991-20016DEC5082_zps

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AutocarJones said:

I have one of those set aside to build this dude

3B0F4C41-E13C-4334-AD5F-6A2F4DC03226_zps

or this one

9D0D7E50-8B30-4840-A991-20016DEC5082_zps

I think my uncle had one of these years back.  From what I remember, it had the same hood and stand up sleeper.  Could it have been an AT64F?  He still talks about it and how he wishes he had kept it.

--Casey

On June 7, 2016 at 8:14 PM, Casey said:

I think my uncle had one of these years back.  From what I remember, it had the same hood and stand up sleeper.  Could it have been an AT64F?  He still talks about it and how he wishes he had kept it.

--Casey

That would be my guess.This was the last real Autocar before they changed to the new White cabs and hoods that ended up becoming volvo. From what I understand, now they only build garbage truck chassis.

• Like 1

On June 6, 2016 at 10:28 PM, Cornbinder said:

Why not both? :D

I may, but theres still so much resin to buy. Some cabs I have to draw the line at one.I would love to build 10 of them honestly.

On 6/14/2016 at 10:13 PM, AutocarJones said:

I may, but theres still so much resin to buy. Some cabs I have to draw the line at one.I would love to build 10 of them honestly.

I know the feeling. I could order five of every conversion kit Dave sells and still feel like it's not enough. 

20 hours ago, Cornbinder said:

I know the feeling. I could order five of every conversion kit Dave sells and still feel like it's not enough. 

Exactly right