Cornbinder

KFS Ford CL9000

First of all.... I'm going to clear the air on one thing.

MSRP on this is $177 US dollars. Now that they're not as thick on the ground, people are asking more for them. Is it worth it? Well, that's for you to decide. I, for one, have zero regrets!

016.thumb.JPG.00b30c02aacd999d334d271c05

The transkit comes in a sturdy cardboard box. A picture shows the contents of the kit, but there's nothing quite like having a peek inside...

007.thumb.JPG.efe824911102d13217df589a57

The cab and floor castings are thick, but every detail that should be there, is there, and the molding quality is the best I've seen- zero pinholes or surface blemishes to be found. The sturdy box (which was carefully packed into another sturdy box for shipping) protected the kit while it was being mauled by the USPS, though there really aren't too many "dainty" resin parts in the kit.

008.thumb.JPG.058e959100099ed1e4d2a1c49d

Check THIS out... the roof and side panel detail for the sleeper is molded into the cab shell. I have no idea how KFS pulled this off, though I for one think I might have a hard time doing some of the details with it molded in place like that. All the same, I really got a kick out of seeing this. Such detail is rare for a commercial plastic kit, much less an aftermarket resin piece.

009.thumb.JPG.1d2c1e34fda6b1cd8fdf8750c2

Other resin parts include the dash, side skirts, grille frame and splash apron. The radiator has the shroud and fan molded to it. Again, nary a flaw to be found in the castings. 

010.thumb.JPG.dbde92214450e06cd3a3386c1d

More resin parts, including the inner door panels, battery boxes, and intake/exhaust piping. These pieces exhibit more surface detail than many plastic kits I've seen! 

011.thumb.JPG.8022019c7ec9106792d2e62475

Some of the more delicate parts, such as the steering wheel and shifter, are done in white metal. Some not-so-delicate parts like the bumper and headlight bezels are also done in white metal, which can be polished to resemble chrome. Just the thing for the Alclad-challenged among us!

012.thumb.JPG.a3ab2a5402a4feecbdccb59163

The windshield is vacuum formed- the rest can be taken care of with clear flat stock.

013.thumb.JPG.0a613c935c5b33ee3bd68edca7

The kit includes metal and plastic tubing for making the exhaust, and for fashioning the cab hinge.

014.thumb.JPG.a76634c992e791e2356461db4c

The photoetch sheet looks scary, especially if you (like me) suck at soldering. The wipers in particular look like they'll be "fun" if you aren't good at such things.

015.thumb.JPG.9a1cff9b2b3362c1d530f0a0fa

There are three decal sheets- two factory stripe motifs, plus a small sheet with details for the cab, including a choice of a woodgrain or aluminum gauge cluster.

So... I'm sure by now you have let the price sink in. And you know that you'll need a donor kit. KFS suggests the Freightliner FLD120, which is a bit odd as that is a set-back axle tractor, while the CL is a forward- axle... never mind the fact that a '90's Freightliner frame bears little resemblance to a '70's Ford unit. That being said, you'd need to track down one of those, and KFS's detailed instruction booklet tells you what you need to do to the Freightliner frame to fit the Ford cab. KFS also suggests reinforcing the front axles and spindles to cope with the weight. That's something you can't see in photos... this is a heavy sumbitch, by non-diecast-model standards!

As a lifelong Ford guy, I knew I had to have this kit when I saw it, no matter the price. Throw in the fact that my great uncle ran a couple of these in the late '70's and early '80's, that sealed the deal. You may not have the same kind of feelings or personal connection to the 1:1, but if you just plain want a cool looking old tractor, something you won't see 50 examples of at the next show, this might be right up your alley. Look at it this way.... building this is still cheaper than landing a real one, and the model will never require repairs, upkeep, insurance, or fuel. :D

I can't wait for KFS to bring back the Michigan loader kit.... and one of their White Road Commanders looks pretty enticing, too...

Edited by Cornbinder

It's not so much the price as it is the fact that I only have one. Before the Diamond REO was reissued a few years back, I managed to nab an early '90's reissue for dirt cheap. But even then, I was a bit reluctant to tear into it, because I only had one, and if I messed up, it's not like I could trot on down to the local shop and nab another one that afternoon. And yes, same goes for resin conversion kits. Might be a few months before I can get a replacement. 

I picked up this conversion myself as I have a weakness for Ford semis.  My only problem with the CL-9000 conversion is trying to find a FLD donor kit that is not for sale in the US.  I am hoping Italeri will reissue them sometime , the FLC has made a comeback.:)

I wished I had ordered the 'H-model Falcon" cab at the same time, it is long gone now.

Yeah- you can use pretty much any Italeri kit with the FLD chassis... that includes the Fords and Western Stars. I don't know if the FLC chassis is the same as the FLD kit chassis, but I'd imagine they are.

Just don't use one of the Pete kits and you should do just fine.