Sign in to follow this  
Tom Hall

New rendition of an old favorite....

Holmes came out with their '750' unit' in 1962 and produced them until 1990. Tow truck operators loved them because they were rugged, and many have been quoted as saying "the 750 would break something before it ran out of pulling power". Quite an endorsement. I always liked to look of the 750 and decided I would try my hand at one...with a couple of practical additions. I found out from research that the extendable booms the 750 had were notorious for being difficult to extend by hand and operators often had to rely on something more powerful than a man to pull the telescopic booms out, usually another wrecker had to do it. My solution was to add small hydraulic cylinders to the side of the square booms to extend the telescopic boom. Also in the 21st century world of trucking any wrecker not having an underlift is limited on what they can actually tow. So I added one. The wrecker bed/body is a modified "big stick' unit. Everything else is scatchbuilt. Here's my rendition.

TS007.JPG

TS005.JPG

TS001a.jpg

TS014.JPG

Great build! Excellent detail and fabrication. A wonderful tribute to all the guys that worked the 750 over the years. I like the paint colors, too. 

17 hours ago, Johnny M said:

WOW -- what a terrific model! 

That's the good stuff right there.

Johnny

Thank you.

10 hours ago, vincen47 said:

Great build! Excellent detail and fabrication. A wonderful tribute to all the guys that worked the 750 over the years. I like the paint colors, too. 

Thank you.

Really like this one. I’ve always liked the look of the 750, but don’t have the skill to scratch build. Excellent work here.