Sign in to follow this  
Yardjockey 251

CF air tanks

Question

Hello all. I was wondering if anyone would know if there are tank end caps that would fit either styrene or brass tubing in order to build CF's horizontal chassis mounted air tanks or the frame/bracket behind cab vertical air tanks. For the very early cabover Freightliners, CF had the vertical tanks installed inside on the right side of the cabs. Later on the chassis mounted vertical tanks (mostly on cabovers) and horizontal air tanks (mostly on Freightliner conventional's )  frame mounted horizontal air tanks. I haven't begun this build yet and am still in the info. gathering stages so I'm not sure what my vertical behind cab air tanks diameter will be yet, but it will at least be somewhere between 3/4" to 1" in diameter. I am looking for some domed tank end caps that will fit tube cut to length to represent the air tank bodies. Any help that you may be able to provide will be greatly appreciated. Thank you all ,Pete

2 answers to this question

I used the air tank off of the AMT R-Model Mack on my CF truck for the tank behind the cab. End caps can be made from stacking flat styrene, then sanding it down to the shape that you want. Sorry to take so long to answer. I haven't been on in a while.

A good source of tubing that size is a hardware store that carries plumbing supplies.  Brian is right.  Cut it to length and then glue on some sheet plastic to the ends.  Stack up 2-3 pieces so that you can bevel the ends by sanding.