Sign in to follow this  
Cornbinder

1971 Autocar A64B & Haulaway Trailer

Been about three years since I finished a semi tractor or heavy truck of any kind, so here's my triumphant return. I guess. :P

I had the notion to build a hot rod shop truck, and kind of combined that idea with an AMT Autocar A64B. I started with an incomplete Stevens International kit I'd had laying around for several years. The engine is a Detroit V12 made from AMT and GW Trucks parts. The whole mess is lowered and sits on wheels from the infamous old Turnpiker Peterbilt 352, and the front tires are from a Revell Bill Signs 359. The rear tires, get this, are from the Revell Jeep CJ. Other than the height they're otherwise exactly the same as the 1:25 front floats. Same width, same tread and sidewall lettering, same I.D. even, just slightly taller overall. The single axle air suspension was made from spare parts and scratch built air bags. The headlights in this kit always looked dinky to me, so I replaced them with some lights from a Revell '32 Ford.

The Haulaway trailer is pretty much box stock, aside from wheels and tires to match the tractor, and mud flaps cut from .020" styrene. The models on the trailer were all ones I had sitting around, and were built between about 2008 and 2020. Upper deck has a '76 Scout II, '53 F100, and '70 Ford Custom, while the lower deck carries a '75 Matador and '62 Impala.

2v2aysQdax6Rah4.jpg2v2aysQyex6Rah4.jpg2v2aysQ5Zx6Rah4.jpg2v2aysQ8Jx6Rah4.jpg2v2aysQzHx6Rah4.jpg2v2aysboax6Rah4.jpg2v2aysbUjx6Rah4.jpg2v2aysbEox6Rah4.jpg2v2aysbH2x6Rah4.jpg

Nice-lookin’ hot rod style hauler. I’d imagine it would have quite the sound with that straight-piped v12.

Funny about those tires, now we know Revell essentially got the design from themselves for their “floats”.

A great build overall, and I especially like the 23 1/2 hour road service, just don’t call during that 30 minute break - whenever that is!

Wow! OK, we model buildin' now -- oh my goodness. 

Let me just point out two things out of all this : The sunlight and shadow in the photograph, and the rust on the old Ford.

Excellent.

Johnny