Sign in to follow this  
jpage

1975 C65 Chevy Dump

About 3 years ago I started a project to build a model of my son's dump truck and just finished it today. The interior, cab and front end is from the Revell snow plow truck kit with a shortened hood and scratch built fenders. The frame and front suspension, also shortened, came from the International 4300 kit and the engine, wheels, tires, cab lights and rear suspension came from a Dodge L700 kit. I also used the L700 body floor and fenders to fashion the rear of the front fenders.  The fuel tank came from A.I.T.M.. The interior tub of the Chevy kit was poorly detailed, so new door panels were made and the seat was reworked. The rear cab window was shortened. The L700 steering wheel was used and the cab detailed, although you really can't see much of it. The bed, end gate, hydraulic lift, vacuum tank and battery box , bumper and mirrors are all scratch built. I was fortunate to connect with a guy on this forum, who 3 D printed a grille for me. This was a piece that I was really racking my brain on how to construct.  His part is spot on and looks great! Originally, I wanted an opening hood, which on this model, flipped forward, but I was having issues with clearance and alignment while building the fenders, so I nixed that feature.  Incidentally, the pic of the grille and rough hood was a practice piece. The final print was a perfect fit and replica. I did open the headlamps and installed lenses to add some realism. The mirrors are scratch built with fine wire and styrene and chromed with a Molotow pen. It's painted in acrylic paint with no sealer and replicates a worn but not shoddy finish, then lightly weathered to simulate use. This was a tough project for me as I'm not well versed in the scratch building realm and have been away from the hobby for about 40 years. My goal was to replicate as close as possible, my son's truck as it is today and still working! One thing I wish I could add is the decals, but I have no knowledge or equipment to do the white lettering. That would really make it look real! The photos do make it look better than it does in person! Because of the lighting, the paint looks a darker blue than what it is, and almost is exact to the original paint on the truck. The last couple of pics are of the real truck. I have the frame, running gear, bed and snow plow left from one Chevy kit, and another which is complete except for the windshield, which I managed to screw up during the build. I tried to remove some paint and marred the plastic. it could probably be sanded and polished but I don't have the material for that. What do they say, "if something doesn't go wrong, you're not trying hard enough"! I also have a few parts left from the L700 kit and I have no use for any of these kits now that the project is finished. If anyone is interested, we can work out a deal! Enjoy the pics.

DSC02369.JPG

DSC02371.JPG

DSC02366 (2).JPG

DSC02368.JPG

DSC02377.JPG

DSC02384.JPG

DSC02385.JPG

DSC02386.JPG

DSC02379.JPG

DSC02388.JPG

DSC02389.JPG

DSC02390.JPG

DSC02392.JPG

DSC02393.JPG

DSC02394.JPG

DSC02395.JPG

Doug's Truck 1.jpg

Doug's Truck 2.jpg

Doug's Truck 3.jpg

Doug's Truck 4.jpg

Doug's Truck 5.jpg

Doug's Truck 6.jpg

Doug's Truck 7.jpg

Doug's Truck 8.jpg

Doug's Truck 10.jpg

Doug's Truck 11.jpg

DSC02359.JPG

DSC02360.JPG

You really did a great job on this one! Excellent work! I hope to build a similar project except mine will be a log truck and it didn’t have a tilt front. I’m going to cheat and use a resin cab. I don’t know that I would be able to accomplish what you have done here. Looks great!

Thanks! Where can you find a resin cab? I only ever saw the one that P&P vintage had and apparently, they're out of business.

12 hours ago, jpage said:

Thanks! Where can you find a resin cab? I only ever saw the one that P&P vintage had and apparently, they're out of business.

I found it on Ebay. It may be an old P&P cab. RMR still lists one, so it may be from them too. The quality of this one isn’t great, but I think that I will be able to do something with it. I used to help a guy who had a C60 log truck. I’m going to try to make something similar to his truck, one day anyway.

The hard part, for me, is that the fenders are not flat. They angle away from the body and have the curves. The rear fenders are peaked in the center rear section and angled away from the cab for door clearance. it's hard to see on the model. The fronts were laminated and pieced to get the contour. The fenders were the hardest part of the build. Can you tell me where on ebay you found it. I can't locate anything; I'd like to see it. Thanks

Edited by jpage

Cool build. Nice job with a tough project. I too, would love to get ahold of a c65 cab/hood someday. The resin ones are rare. 

On 1/11/2022 at 8:05 AM, jpage said:

The hard part, for me, is that the fenders are not flat. They angle away from the body and have the curves. The rear fenders are peaked in the center rear section and angled away from the cab for door clearance. it's hard to see on the model. The fronts were laminated and pieced to get the contour. The fenders were the hardest part of the build. Can you tell me where on ebay you found it. I can't locate anything; I'd like to see it. Thanks

It was just a single sale. It wasn’t brand new when I bought it. I will try to dig it out of the closet soon. I think it might be a GMC.