Sign in to follow this  
Chariots of Fire

WC-52 and fire pump trailer

Not exactly a big truck (3/4 ton rating) but they made a lot of these during WW II.  Dodge powered the WC-52 was given the task of pulling a fire pump trailer for the fire fighting platoons.  It was used for a lot of different roles but this was one.  This model(s) is scratch built at 1/25 scale.  Most military models are the preferred 1:35 scale but I like the larger size in keeping with the other builds I have done.  Between the truck and the trailer there are about 200 scratch building hours into them.  One of the photos shows a different number on the truck hood and tailgate.  That's because I changed it during the latter part of construction.

127.thumb.JPG.6e1580030e846cc5badd5953a21e4e40.JPG129.thumb.JPG.5ebda0d14f3c154d5bfcb607b8b75003.JPG132.thumb.JPG.035ad3904569423a5e5f75d88cba54cc.JPG030.thumb.JPG.7117f2cf07109f29b3bbfde49bb56e01.JPG

Excellent craftsmanship. Not only a unique scale for military equipment, but I’d venture a guess that it’s also a unique military set to model. I especially like the detail of the pump unit and in-line 6. What make is that engine?

That's a Dodge built T-214 engine, Vince.  I had some good pictures of one in a military manual reprint and also a diecast one in a Danbury Mint '41 Plymouth pickup to draw from.  The engine is scratch built.  Incidentally the same engine is in the WC-52 as well.

4 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

That's a Dodge built T-214 engine, Vince.  I had some good pictures of one in a military manual reprint and also a diecast one in a Danbury Mint '41 Plymouth pickup to draw from.  The engine is scratch built.  Incidentally the same engine is in the WC-52 as well.

I see, I was wondering if it was also a Dodge. I like builds like this that I can not only admire, but also learn something new. Not only art, but education, in a sense. History, engineering, etc. 

Edited by vincen47

I'll be working on the WC-s cousin the WC-63 soon.  It will be a 1.5 ton version that is 4 feet longer and had a tandem axle setup for 6x6 drive.  Same front end and body style; just longer.