intruder500

Fancy Paintwork...

Hi All:

How do you guys do all those fancy paint jobs? I am so used to doing military stuff that doing custom paint scares the crap out of me! Where do you find the stripes, flames, and all that other stuff you see on big rigs? I have been looking around but not finding much. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stephen C.

intruder500

Some of it is decals that are in the kits.  Other times it is a matter of masking to separate different colors.  There are some specialty decal producers out there that can make up individual decal sets but they can be costly. Other options include colored tapes that can be used for straight line color separations.  Very narrow tapes (1/64" width) can be used for pin striping.  Depends on what you are looking for.

IF you are thinking of getting into painting big rigs start off with simple one color paint jobs and get the hang of it.  Focus on getting the paint right so that there is no running, crazing or orange peeling.  Use a good primer and lay on the color in thin coats to build it up. 

There are plenty of builders out there who can coach you on doing the fancy paint jobs.