Sign in to follow this  
fubar

acid tanker

what started as a good idea , when the first round of covid lock downs came in couldnt go to hobby store was in between builds i had a bunch of transformers from lowboy kits never use i thought id try making a acid tanker , had a vintage shell tanker kit the plastic was to warped to use to build i used as a donor , the scale of the tank barrel is to small looked too out of place hooked behind a truck

20200626_042416.jpg

20200626_042441.jpg

20200704_003338.jpg

20200705_133116.jpg

20200705_133050.jpg

20200719_092640.jpg

Hmm. Trying to think what you could convert it into. Maybe the tank itself could become a load for a flatbed? A tank of that size would have multiple uses in stationary industrial applications, being delivered as new or a retired one hauled for scrap. It could be detailed with the tank base, mounts, piping outlets, etc. Then, the remaining frame could be fitted with a larger diameter tank to complete the original build concept, which was a good idea.

vince, yeah not sure what im going to do with it, thought of putting external ribs on the barrel and making a catwalk to hide the barrel, who knows lol its on the someday shelf , take care buddy

Yeah, thought about the ribs too, helping to disguise the tank diameter. I’ve seen some pretty narrow tank trailers before without ribs, too. Maybe compressed gas or something. Regardless, having it sit on the shelf won’t hurt anything, until the time comes to use it. 

Good work! Having pulled tankers, all types for round 13 years yours is not so uncommon.  Tanks that size would have organic peroxide or hydrogen peroxide or even sodium hydroxide (caustic soda)  placard 1824.

Now caustic is heavy, almost 3x that of water so in a regular tank you could only fill it about 2/3 full, that leaves a lot of slosh room in a smooth bore tank. One must bee smoooth on the braking and shifting overall it all that goo comes forward quick and hard.   Soo back to the small bore tank, you could fill it full and alleviate the slosh to a degree. 

Peroxide tanks in paper mills and what not are not that large so a small bore tank would be a full load for some of those applications.   Keep on trucking gang !