Dennis

1st converson: AIMTrk Sterling onto AMT AutoCar, tips?

Pretty new here.  My first attempt.  Found the AMT AutoCar A64B tractor kit to go with my $80 American Industrial Model Truck's Sterling conversion.  So logic tells me to build the AMT frame and running gear and drop the Sterling cab on, right?  Before I head that way, does anyone have any tips or trouble spots to avoid?  I intend to build this up as a logging truck and I also have the AMT log trailer kit.    I recently built the AMT, "Construction Bulldozer," kit also in 1:25, using all the you tube videos I could find.  There were several pit falls in the building process, but it came out OK.  Still weathering it.  Interestingly, the bottom of the bulldozer kit's box had sprue diagrams with numbers printed to match instruction sheet.  AutoCar has the diagram on box bottom, but..........zero numbers.  Not much help.  Just go by photos.  I do see another thread here on a Sterling that looks really, good, however, with me using a donor chassis, I'm still asking this.

Thanks for comments,

Dennis

I would check the width of the front axle vs the Sterlings fenders. You might have to narrow (or add to)  the axle to get the proper distance. 

Make sure you cement the cab, fenders, and other resin with a good 5 minute epoxy to the styrene frame.  I have been using a JB weld product with very good success. Super glue although good for small resin pcs is not to good for the heavier resin castings like tanks, tool boxes, wheels and cabs.  Please post the picks ! That Sterling is a great looking truck. 

I've been assembling some high quality resin model railroad cars with good success using Zap-a-Gap super glue.  Never used 5 minute epoxy.  Have no idea what exact product to get, but will try it.  Specifics?  

5 minute epoxy is mixed 1:1 parts A and B.  Best thing about it is that it does not set up immediately but allows for location adjustment.  Secures to just about any surface including resin.   Can be found in small packages at hardware stores and big box stores.  It will move so parts to be secured should be set flat or otherwise held in position until the epoxy is fully cured.