Sign in to follow this  
DRIPTROIT 71

KW T-800 Quad Dump Truck

Here is my new project. The cab conversion, the bed, the engine, and at least one of the pusher axles are from Gary Wallace. The rear suspension is rubber block, I think from Clint Freeman. The engine is a M-11 Cummins. This one will ride on Mobeius wheels and tires.

5DE1E744-4E80-4C4D-B4EA-AFF30D3E83C7.thumb.jpeg.89a0b0fb9dc44b11d701d8c6026c952d.jpeg
B852A7B3-DA32-4A32-AEE9-33B9ED14598F.thumb.jpeg.962496ef4fb31821bffca04156ce6855.jpeg

Going to be good, I’m sure. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone use the M11 on here, at least recently. That’s cool. What are you thinking for paint color(s)?

1 hour ago, vincen47 said:

Going to be good, I’m sure. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone use the M11 on here, at least recently. That’s cool. What are you thinking for paint color(s)?

I have planned all yellow, but I’ve been strongly considering orange. I will probably go black on the chassis as this will be mostly an asphalt hauler.

20 hours ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

I have planned all yellow, but I’ve been strongly considering orange. I will probably go black on the chassis as this will be mostly an asphalt hauler.

Sounds like a plan. I like the orange idea, but it would be a great candidate for that UP yellow you have, too.

The mock-up looks great, it’ll be a nice set-up. Orange will look good, it’s one of those colors that can be easily dressed up or down. Perfect for factory/fleet, as well as custom/show, and everything in between.

7 hours ago, vincen47 said:

It’s coming together nicely. What do have planned for the exhaust? Single? Visor for the cab?

Truthfully I’ve been back and forth between dual stacks and single stack. I’ve also been back and forth  between stock visor and a custom outlaw visor. I guess it will depend on what mood I’m in when it comes down to making it happen. If I go with the outlaw visor, I will probably go dual stacks. 

It’s already looking great, and it’ll look good either way, but that’s exactly the reason why the choice is hard, I’m sure. So many possibilities. And yeah, it’s often about what inspiration strikes you at the time. 

Unless I’m inspired to replicate a certain truck, often I try to imagine how the truck might be spec’d by the company, dealer, up-fitter, or the individual buyer, thinking about what they might be looking for. What upgrades, replacements, repairs, might have happened during it’s lifetime? 

It may sound odd, but I find if I can mentally create a build’s “biography”, things fall into place more easily. The fact that there is so much variance is one of the things I enjoy about trucks.

Edited by vincen47

34 minutes ago, vincen47 said:

It’s already looking great, and it’ll look good either way, but that’s exactly the reason why the choice is hard, I’m sure. So many possibilities. And yeah, it’s often about what inspiration strikes you at the time. 

Unless I’m inspired to replicate a certain truck, often I try to imagine how the truck might be spec’d by the company, dealer, up-fitter, or the individual buyer, thinking about what they might be looking for. What upgrades, replacements, repairs, might have happened during it’s lifetime? 

It may sound odd, but I find if I can mentally create a build’s “biography”, things fall into place more easily. The fact that there is so much variance is one of the things I enjoy about trucks.

If it sounds odd, then I’m odd too.😀 I do the same thing. Around here, there are several small dump trucking companies along with a few who just own one truck. I was aiming for the guy who just has one truck. An older one in comparison to most. Maybe a late 90s model. Something that gets polished on and customized pretty regularly, but still goes to work every day. Something that gets improvements along the way. 

23 hours ago, vincen47 said:

Exactly! That’s a perfect backstory to inspire the building process. It’ll look every bit the part.

Thanks! I got most of the plumbing done now and the engine is pretty much ready.

91F43B60-5E04-43AF-95B8-3DD5A8ACF4BF.thumb.jpeg.6e25aa43da770d2693479bb590165d9a.jpeg

93A9279E-208B-4F28-AB52-A02EAF18B35A.thumb.jpeg.5c34afa0bdc8309ecb3c0e59af0eecc9.jpeg

2ECBE4E3-0B4F-4AC2-A45D-195D7ACFB231.thumb.jpeg.d2d098bf66ba581e5ea693b9d6b3ead6.jpeg

Excellent job on that Cummins M11. I’m a huge fan of the wiring/plumbing detail and weathering. Added bonus being an engine you don’t see often in a build. You’ve perfectly captured the “in-service” look - used but not abused. 

Alright, I’m not as good as Chuck Most, but here goes:

The truck was owned by a local company for many years. It was the pride of the driver who had been in it since it was new, until one day while being loaded with shale rock at the local shale pit, due to the loader’s error, the pile collapsed destroying the cab and hood. Due to it’s age the company decided not to fix it but rather sell it to a local mechanic wanting to get into the trucking business. After rounding up several parts including a cab, it was reassembled and given a fresh coat of a orange paint. The hood received a little damage after only a few days on the job and the hood had to be repaired and repainted. I guess it took more room to turn than he thought. It’s an older truck, but the owner likes it and his new business venture. He spends off hours trying to keep it shiny. He has a whole list of accessories he wants, but the wife has encouraged him to be thrifty a least until his new business is well established.

😀

The cab is on now.

1D73FE3D-9378-485E-A411-5728C93E9287.thumb.jpeg.89837b179ce5194174505fc26554655b.jpeg

0E713AC5-B77F-405A-B3A8-31ECA225C3FA.thumb.jpeg.e66f4f41533c50e53dab99d2fd117b05.jpeg

On 1/23/2021 at 7:26 AM, Dr. Kerry said:

Coming along great!!! 
Been away for awhile, gotta get back here and see all the greatness!!!

Thanks Kerry! Glad to see you back on here.
The hood is now on!!

40AAED96-2540-48D3-9974-B74311959EDF.thumb.jpeg.babd862b84a863773c4b25eb3897d5db.jpeg