Sign in to follow this  
41CHEVY

OTR units do not make good tri axle dump trucks!

On 6/28/2020 at 8:18 AM, 41CHEVY said:

Today's lesson is why OTR units do not make good tri axle dump truck!

http://f221a3f35d01d740ef7b1e53463bbe-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

HOLY !! A bit over loaded?? What happened here?? Light duty frame and heavy load don't play well together?

The unit was originally a fleet tractor with single rails. It was stretched close to 3 feet, a dual wheel lift axle and contracted to haul cold planed asphalt.  DOT cited it for a tad under 15,000 lbs. over weight, improper chassis modes and not CDL for driver. THe chassis broke where it was BUTT welded with only a 1/4" x8"x10" fish plate over splice.

• Like 1

That poor Mack.... I bet she stopped pretty quick! May need a little asphalt repair? Another bad dog owner strikes again. 

• Like 1

Obviously had light axles too...... oh I bet the driver was in the doo up to his  ears......hope he had his seat belt on too.....

4 hours ago, JPR said:

Obviously had light axles too...... oh I bet the driver was in the doo up to his  ears......hope he had his seat belt on too.....

38,000 rears and 12.000 steer.

16 minutes ago, 41CHEVY said:

38,000 rears and 12.000 steer.

a bit light on the back end, but the 12,000 f/a seems pretty much the going rate, BUT not for the loads this was intended to haul I would say....., still tho, if the frame was not beefed up, this would be the result anyway.... just a good thing it didn't happen going down a hill or on a freeway

On 6/30/2020 at 2:44 PM, 41CHEVY said:

The unit was originally a fleet tractor with single rails. It was stretched close to 3 feet, a dual wheel lift axle and contracted to haul cold planed asphalt.  DOT cited it for a tad under 15,000 lbs. over weight, improper chassis modes and not CDL for driver. THe chassis broke where it was BUTT welded with only a 1/4" x8"x10" fish plate over splice.

Well, that explains it. A properly modified/factory equipped truck, it was not. Thanks for the info, I was really wondering about this one.

• Like 2