Sign in to follow this  
Brian Dutz

AITM Mack B 61 and fuel tanker

Here are a few pics of a current project. The AITM B61 is a beautiful kit. Working on the glass now. It’s been the hardest part of the build. Still have to touch up the stripes on the tanker. My honey-do list is growing now that it’s warm out so my time at the bench has been limited. 

0A5A42AA-2505-4B1B-A3E1-E460BC1802E0.jpeg

C8B75FC6-D08D-441C-8CCA-D0DBCF122F09.jpeg

D2131CDC-F278-4137-8FE2-09E7ECB1962F.jpeg

15399578-8065-4534-93AE-005AAE257D32.jpeg

7ECCF2ED-8BC3-49AC-B2CE-24D08ECE379F.jpeg

74DBFD8C-2CF8-49CF-AACD-DA330539747D.jpeg

F9040FB3-E4B1-4D4D-849F-3E7FD43AC54E.jpeg

1CD3CBF0-03EF-4A00-98F9-C762A1376AAF.jpeg

CDE42FA7-0D91-41D8-8042-90914A00A546.jpeg

0B0E73DA-5213-44C0-8327-CF8630B79B67.jpeg

3B2D1F5F-3F6D-40E2-9DC3-A7888D8EEFFE.jpeg

AFC22B6A-CB61-43AB-860E-5C3E9C9FB2AC.jpeg

• Like 1

Very nice!  I had a photo tutorial on an easy easy to do the glass, but your unit is already painted so it would not work. Basically I use a pair of dividers to mark a line from the outside of the body on all the openings. Take a Dremell 10mm diameter barrel mill on slow speed and mill a channel inside the openings. You can than set the glass up to the body close to the outer edges. The glass has a 1/8 glue area all around and does not need to be an exact fit to the opening. I need to search out the photos after the P.Bucket thing.  Paul

Thanks Paul. Also, thanks for the glass tip. I didn’t even think of that but it makes perfect sense. That will definitely help in the future. I have several more resin builds coming up in the near future. Thanks again.

Your paint looks fantastic. Just saw that CTM is going to make a resin Mack B model. I wonder how it’ll compare to AITM, and if the parts, like the glass, will be interchangeable. I don’t know if they’d sell it separately, but it’s a thought.

Here is the latest update. The truck is finished. I received my new tires and rims from AITM for the trailer and should have 5his project complete this weekend. 0C6B6779-58FC-48A0-BDAC-BAE88DAD7D4E.thumb.jpeg.9eee8cec7a400760e88e699ff30b13c2.jpeg

0745BDC3-1501-40B3-A3E2-73BC97FC23FB.jpeg

0FEFC91F-11D1-402E-BADC-A456F583860E.jpeg

Very nicely done. I seem  to be partial to Macks any how   ;) since I learned to drive and took my CDL test in a 1962 B81SX

Edited by 41CHEVY

11 hours ago, Brian Dutz said:

Thank you.  These style Mack’s look awesome. That would have been a great truck to learn in. 

Quad box with 2 hand shifting, air assist steering, hot in summer, cold in winter and for someone who is 6' 2" 210 lbs not a lot of room. But I still love them.

12 hours ago, 41CHEVY said:

Quad box with 2 hand shifting, air assist steering, hot in summer, cold in winter and for someone who is 6' 2" 210 lbs not a lot of room. But I still love them.

The two hand shifting must have been crazy. I learned how to drive a truck in the service. It was a Ford C600 pulling a flatbed. Many, many moons ago. 

6 hours ago, Brian Dutz said:

The two hand shifting must have been crazy. I learned how to drive a truck in the service. It was a Ford C600 pulling a flatbed. Many, many moons ago. 

It was , but it made a real truck driver out of a guy who was interested in learning it, nowadays, automatics, seem to be just 'steering' a truck, kind of seems, to me, the true skill is getting lost, but that is just me.... I used to love these two sticks... would like to try my hand at them again just for fun...

2 hours ago, JPR said:

It was , but it made a real truck driver out of a guy who was interested in learning it, nowadays, automatics, seem to be just 'steering' a truck, kind of seems, to me, the true skill is getting lost, but that is just me.... I used to love these two sticks... would like to try my hand at them again just for fun...

You're right,  now days just seat warmers,  no pride, no real skills and no desire to learn any of it.

I was just called back to do a quarry haul because the new automatics can't get out of the pits. Seems they done have a deep reduction like the sticks.  Lucky my Marmon wasn't tagged with antique plates yet.

If you're close to southern Maine you can take a drive in my '58 B773 not  cramped because of the LJ series cab. Still quad box with a Brownie so it is 3 sticks, but up graded power to a tip turbine 315h.p. 

Edited by 41CHEVY
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, 41CHEVY said:

You're right,  now days just seat warmers,  no pride, no real skills and no desire to learn any of it.

I was just called back to do a quarry haul because the new automatics can't get out of the pits. Seems they done have a deep reduction like the sticks.  Lucky my Marmon wasn't tagged with antique plates yet.

If you're close to southern Maine you can take a drive in my '58 B773 not  cramped because of the LJ series cab. Still quad box with a Brownie so it is 3 sticks, but up graded power to a tip turbine 315h.p. 

That would be cool, Paul, but I am a little ways away from Maine....  British Columbia Canada.... I'd love to see a pic of your truck...

Jeff

17 hours ago, 41CHEVY said:

You make a good point. It’s hard to recruit good drivers nowadays. I could see things change towards the end of my driving time. The quality and caliber are just not there any longer. There are some really great drivers out there, don’t get me wrong but not like there used to be. 

• Like 2

Brian............ a couple of points here............ first is, I haven't commented on your absolutely spectacular build of the I conic B 61, precise build, and nailed the colors right on. The interior tub, is perfect, the color and very subtle wash, brought out the details exactly right, in my eye anyway, also............... I have had my eye on this kit and a couple conversions for years, but am a little intimidated by a full resin build.............obviously the quality is there and I have been to the AITM website hundreds of times..... the big question is, what did you use for the windshield glass, and was it difficult to make and install?  And is the kit worth the cost..... I am in British Columbia, so for an $80.00 kit for example, it translates to almost $120.00 with exchange and shipping and what ever those wonderful guys at the border decide to charge me.... so I have or should be a bit sure of an expensive purchase.... but YOUR results are spectacular

Jeff

Hello Jeff, thanks for the compliments. This build was my first full resin kit build. I have been holding off on building it because I was a little worried about how difficult it would be. The build was very straight forward and easy. I just needed to make sure the rear axle alignment was correct. The glass was the most difficult part of the build. 41Chevy gave a great tip on installing the glass and I feel that will work great on my next build. The glass is included with the kit and comes with templates for the basic shape, you just have to do a little extra trim to fit.  As far as kit quality, Dave’s resin kits are awesome and well worth the price. 

• Like 1

Thanks, for the info Brian, I just may try one myself...... still some trepidation though.....

On 6/6/2020 at 12:13 PM, Brian Dutz said:

Thanks Paul. Also, thanks for the glass tip. I didn’t even think of that but it makes perfect sense. That will definitely help in the future. I have several more resin builds coming up in the near future. Thanks again.

Another tip on glass is to make the glass fit as close to the gasket as possible by just trimming the glass so it fits just right.  Then use some clear Tamiya gloss lacquer to hold it in place from the inside.  It takes a bit to get the glass to fit nice all around the effect is worth it.  Check out the Sterling build and you will see what I mean.