Jersee Jerry55

IH Transtar 4300 day cab project here goes nothin' commences

To all good day and hope everyone's well. So with this on my mind my IH Transtar 4300 project starts. The cab is painted in Model Master Daytona Yellow lacquer. The IH 800 engine which I have found out is referred to as the "boat anchor' is painted in Walmart off brand spray paints. The engine is in Fire Red, and the transmission is in Flat Black, both are enamels. The interior is a Khaki and Brown with Brown seats. As you can see by the pictures I still have a bit to go on the engine and will post pics when that is complete along with pics of the cab. After thinking long and hard I have decided on Flat Black for the frame and associated parts. In a previous post I was undecided about the frame color. The inspiration for that decision is from a truck I came across on the internet. That truck is pictured below.

IMG_2978.jpg

IMG_2979.jpg

IMG_2980.jpg

IMG_2958.JPG

Nice work and cool project.

I worked for Walton P Davis in Locust Valley L.I. N.Y. in 1973 and they had a few dozen of them and ran horses and Moving trailers up and down the east coast. All V8 powered and ran with trucks with "real" engines quite easily.  The issue like the Allis Chalmers "Big Als" was lack of service facilities.

I'm starting a 4300 build as well.  Do you know how you are going to address the issue with the front wheels not being centered in the front fenders ?

I know this is an issue with this kit.

Thanks !

I've been rebuilding an old Transtar 4300 conventional kit from 1975 that my wife built for her father who owned one. I purchased a new kit for parts and noticed several differences. The old kit had a much smaller engine and a short hood, the new kit had a long hood with square headlamps as opposed to the round lamp version. The new kit also had disc wheels but the old kit had the 5 spoke type. Had to make several modifications on it to match my father in law's truck. It's still a nice looking truck and a nice kit! I did not notice any issue with the centering of the front wheels even since the 2 frames are exactly alike. I do think that the front axles could be made a little stronger though.