Sign in to follow this  
badshotsyd

Duel Peterbilt 281 in brass, 1/33rd scale work so far

Hello folks

Attached here are a few pics of my attempt at the Duel Peterbilt 281, 1959 , a truck that has been at the back of my mind as a model to make ever since I saw that marvellous movie.

The drawings are lifted from a free download card model from "Paperoom.blog" which i printed onto 8ogsm paper and stuck to thin brass sheet for cutting out. there were many compromises needed between the method for a card model and construction in brass. If I had worked some things out first, some parts would have been easier, some parts harder - swings and roundabouts - but i'm learning.

Brass used was mainly 0.2 and 0.1 mm thick, plus some angle and hollow rectangular tube provided by K & S Chicago IL. To be honest, i feel that to get the best effect, a great deal of car body filler and auto spray paints (as suggested by Paul, CHEVY 41 - thanks again Paul) will be consumed before I can pronounce the model well and truly finished. But as my wife says in moments of despondency " it is a hobby after all"

Some soldering was fairly easy if not very tidy, but other, smaller parts have had to be glued using epoxy resin, due to heat making bits adjacent fall off.

I've been at it on and off for about four months now, but quite pleased withe progress so far. Wheels and tires were hard to find, but eventually I found a chap who does hardwood turned wheels the right diameter, and I only needed to turn them to a narrower section in my own small lathe to give them the period look -still need to finish off the blackening of the "tires"My 4 yr old grandson has his eyes on it already, he's seen the movie ,too, but he'll have to wait  till Grandad drops off the perch before getting his hands on it !

kind regards all

duel3P1010027.thumb.JPG.df1ee2d5e1582853bd6e1fd4f20b3013.JPG

duel1P1010025.JPG

duel2P1010026.JPG

duel4P1010034.JPG

duel5P1010035.JPG

Edited by badshotsyd
  • Like 1

On 4/17/2019 at 12:13 AM, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

WOW! That's some nice fabricating!

thanks,  got some self etch on the way, and small stuff still to make, horn, head and tail lamps etc, "Thinks:  wonder if I could put some LEDs in?"

now how about that fer a plan?

Dave

OK!! It's official, all of my models are for sale. I'm done, no longer worthy to build.... LMBO!! Man, that is wicked kool! Great metal work and craftsmanship!!!