badshotsyd

painting and weathering on Brass

Question

Hi folks,

I'm about to start the final stages of the Brass built Duel Truck, big parts are soldered, smaller stuff has had to be secured with epoxy resin glue..

Can anyone advise on suitable paints or maybe chemicals to give the truck it's totally neglected and hence menacing look.please??

F'rinstance, is there a suitable primer or etch for brass?

I've seen a brand of model paint called Vallejo, which appears to be water soluble, so I'm not keen on that idea,  Revell paints being oil based enamels would be good I s'pose, again there is the question of primer.

Having looked briefly at the Gallery, I'm a bit reluctant o show my efforts, but maybe I'll risk the criticism!🤓

Anyway, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated and acknowledged,

kind regards all

Dave

4 answers to this question

Clean the brass and the solder flux off as well as possible and than a few coats of Dupli Color or other automotive self etching primer.  Most are available in spray cans. BE SURE TO WEAR A MASK when using it as it is bad for your lungs and such when airborne due to the etching acid in it.  Gee, don't be reluctant to show your work, everbody has to start at some level and you may get a few tips but not any ragging on your work. We have a great bunch of people here who are better than that.   Paul

Edited by 41CHEVY

11 hours ago, 41CHEVY said:

Clean the brass and the solder flux off as well as possible and than a few coats of Dupli Color or other automotive self etching primer.  Most are available in spray cans. BE SURE TO WEAR A MASK when using it as it is bad for your lungs and such when airborne due to the etching acid in it.  Gee, don't be reluctant to show your work, everbody has to start at some level and you may get a few tips but not any ragging on your work. We have a great bunch of people here who are better than that.   Paul

many thanks Paul, Dupli Color used to be a big seller here in the UK,and may still be,  but "other automotive paint brands are available", so I'm off round the local car spares places.

great advice, and encouragement, pics to follow soon

thanks again

Dave

• Like 1

I agree.  Self etching primer is the way to go after the brass has been thoroughly cleaned.  You will still find that the primer will wear at sharp corners and may require a bit of touchup before painting the finish coats.  Wear and weathering should come after the finish coat has been applied.  Military modelers seem to have this technique mastered for sure.  But you can achieve good results using washes that have a base other than what was used for the finish coat.  Acrylics do well.  They there are weathering powders such as Tamiya that can be applied to small areas to bring out highlights.  Check out IPMS and some of the shows they sponsor.  You can pick up all sorts of tips on weathering and making things look beat up there.