Sign in to follow this  
Cornbinder

GMC 9500 Tractor

This is something I've been messing with for a bit. Made quite a bit of progress tonight, so thought I'd post up some photos.

gmc s.jpg

Here's how the AITM cab looked mocked up on the AMT GMC Astro chassis. I did make a few changes. The rear wheels and tires are from an Autocar, and they're just on for mockup purposes. I reworked the Astro front wheels to fit the float tires from an IH Paystar 5000 kit. I worked away at the bumper with a foam sanding block until the slots opened up. I also painted and detailed the grille. Seeing it in this stage got me motivated.

After weighing my options, I opted to build it as a tractor rather than a dump truck as I had originally intended.

gmc.jpg

The Astro battery box was used as-is, but the round tanks were shortened for use on the 9500. The mufflers are from the AITM kit, though I cut the tops off and used K&S aluminum tube for the stand pipes. I made the exhaust brackets from pieces of Evergreen strip. 

• Like 1

Progress from last night. The windshield gaskets and divider, wing vent posts, and rear window gasket were added, along with fuel tank straps and steps.

gmc 1.jpg

gmc 2.jpg

gmc 3.jpg

And earlier tonight I built and painted the chassis and began to weather it. 

gmc 4.jpg

Looks fantastic.  I'm planning on a similar project:  Chevy version with a log bed.

There was a local furniture factory here that used those trucks as company trucks hauling lowboy furniture trailers.

A local trucking firm had the long hood version of those powered by 671 Detroits.

We had several cabs with frames and engines on the sod farm that the owner had bought for the Detroits for use on his irrigation pumps.

Rebuilt 3 of them while I was a driver / mechanic there.

I haven't forgotten about this- it's just been on the back burner for a while. I think I finally found a way to make the mirrors. I've been shuffling around in my spares seeing if there were any suitable kit-based mirrors to use- but nothing I had were close enough. So I bent up some solid wire and made a bracket from plastic strip. Still not an exact match but they'll work for me. :) She'll also be needing a good dusting and touch ups, but hopefully this one will be wrapped up soon. 

35241484_406487533168064_6179278764262817792_n.jpg.045e8014f136b940b6ca30fcce50eca6.jpg35402392_406486173168200_7613239349349449728_n.jpg.013401445c5dace2a9d693f87ebe6e6a.jpg

• Like 1

Nice idea \on the mirror brackets. Put some wiper tracks in the dust and it'll look job site fresh.    PUL