Sign in to follow this  
Cornbinder

Up Late Watching B-Movies

I think everybody here is familiar with Maximum Overdrive, the 1986 Stephen King schlockfest. Not as many people seem to know about "Trucks", which was a 1997 movie based on the same Stephen King short story, also called "Trucks". Trucks was shot on a much lower budget and was not directed by King, in addition to being much less entertaining and having a much more downbeat ending. 

But there is one strange similarity between the two. In both movies, the "main villain" is a Western Star semi tractor. Of course, in Maximum Overdrive it is the Happy Toyz Green Goblin (technically a White Western Star), and in Trucks the bad guy is the Westway Refrigerated rig, an early '90's Western Star. I find it odd that it's a Western Star in the movie, when in the original short story I seem to remember the main "bad guy" truck being an old Mack. 

I was watching Trucks again today, and noticed something I'd never noticed before. Granted, it's been about ten years since the last time I watched the movie, but I can't believe I never saw this before.

western star s.jpg

Here she is after going crazy and tormenting the human characters in the movie. Take note of this- '80's '90's Western Star with the Heritage Cab. Not quite as imposing or memorable as the Green Goblin, but hey, this is a low-budget horror flick... I don't even remember if Trucks got a theatrical release, or if it was straight to video. Just take note... rectangular headlights (IMCDB says it's a '92 model), and two-hole steel wheels up front.

Later on, after ditching it's trailer, the Star gets blown up. It disappears from the movie just long enough for you to kind of forget about it, then, BAM, it comes back one last time to try and take out the humans before they make their final escape. 

The explosion that damaged the Star must have been severe enough to have opened a portal in time/space, because now it not only has cast spoke wheels, but it also seems to be about 15 to 20 years older. xD

western star.jpg

I have no idea why, but vehicular continuity errors always amuse me. :D

• Like 1

Kind of like Pig Pens Mack Cruiseliner in Convoy, changes to a K.W.K100 at the toll booth and at the funeral.  Paul

None are as bad as Tremors 3 though. In that one a Ford Explorer Sport Trac plunges into a canyon, and when they find it at the bottom it has turned into a third-gen Dodge Caravan. :)

6 hours ago, Cornbinder said:

None are as bad as Tremors 3 though. In that one a Ford Explorer Sport Trac plunges into a canyon, and when they find it at the bottom it has turned into a third-gen Dodge Caravan. :)

AAH the original Vanishing Point Challenger turns into a 67 Camaro before it crashes  ;)

Edited by 41CHEVY

And of course the '55 Chevy in American Graffiti that transforms in it's last scene. Also I seem to remember seeing a beat up '65 Chevy parked along the street in a movie that took place in 1962.