Sign in to follow this  
Casey

Snap KW W900L hood.

Thought I would share the W900l (circa '96) hood I am working on for the snap KW.  Hopefully I will wind up with something passable.

Img_2464.jpg

Since the W900L grill is narrower, I cut a section out of the center of the hood and the grill (not pictured).

Img_2465.jpg

To ensure that the correct width was maintained at the back of the hood a cut a section from the rear of another hood.

Img_2571.jpg

The rear portion of the other hood was glued to the rear of the hood and the hood sides have been extended using sheet styrene.  In the image above, the fenders have been widened using the outer portion of the other hood's fenders, the headlight "pods" have been removed and filled and the raised portion on the top of the hood has been removed. 

Img_2478.jpg

What's left of the original hood and the new hood. 

Img_2582.jpg

Working on the crowned strip down the center of the hood.

Thanks for looking!  Feedback is always encouraged and appreciated.

--Casey

15 hours ago, Cornbinder said:

Nice! Thinking of possibly casting this when it's done? 

If it turns out well, I am thinking of casting the hood, grill, and headlights.  I will need a few for some other builds and if there is interest, I'll make them available to others.

• Like 1

I made a little more progress last night.  I made the headlight pod and hit it with a quick shot of primer to see where I am at.  The next challenge will be to clan up the underside of the hood and then correct the rear portion of the fender (get rid of the flat spot.)  Wish me luck.

Img_2605[1].jpgWVWB7471[1].jpgSUXY8955[1].jpg

• Like 1

I replaced the rear fender section to get rid of the flat spot that the A model fenders have and to widen the side of the fender near the rear.   Fill, sanding and fine tuning continues.  The trick will be to replicate my work on the other side.

Img_2610[1].jpgImage3.jpg 

17 hours ago, AutocarJones said:

Excellent work. You have done a fine job on this conversion. Is this going to turn into a whole truck, or just the hood for now? 

Thanks!  Definitely a complete truck and hopefully many additional hoods. 

14 hours ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Wow! This thing is really taking shape. I want one!!

Thanks!  Hopefully they will be available down the road.

I backtracked quite a bit on the hood due to a couple of issues.  1. Although I mounted them in the same place as they were on the A model hood, they were too high.  2.  The headlight pods were not symmetrical.   The hood sides were made taller, two 3d printed fenders were added, a 3D printed grill was added and other minor tweaks were made.  Here's what it looks like now, almost ready to prime, sand and paint.

Img_2667.jpgImg_2669.jpgImg_2670.jpgImg_2668.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dsldriver said:

Looks good so far. Are you going to re-do the doors on the sleeper to the newer style with the rounded corners?

Thanks and yes sir.  I'm also going to add the panel below the cab and extend the sleeper sides at the bottom to match.  The cab panel and sleeper extension is in the image below along with a Vortex air cleaner that I am working on.

Img_2677[1].jpg

I am getting pretty close to finishing this thing up.  Color has been applied on to wet sanding, clearing and casting.

Img_2722[1].jpgImg_2723[1].jpgImg_2724[1].jpgImg_2725[1].jpg

• Like 1

IMG_2763.JPGI finished the hood and cast the first one a couple of weeks ago only to realize that I made a major error.  I somehow managed to make one of the fenders a tiny bit wider than the other.  It is not dramatic but is noticeable.  Therefore, I decided to start over from scratch.  An opportunity to make it better, right? 

Thus far, I have 3d printed the upper hood, created sides from sheet styrene and have tacked a 3D printed right side fender in place.  With not being bound by kit hood top, I was able to add a bit more of a drop to the front of the hood and make the shape of the upper hood more accurate.  However, since the kit cab sits about .1" lower than it would for a B model, I was forced to shorten the grill a bit and narrowed it as well to maintain the correct length/width proportions.  I was tempted to make it to scale but decided not to because it would force builders to raise the kit's cab in order to achieve the correct fitment and because the rivet counters are likely to be the only ones to notice or care.  Ease of use beat accuracy in this case.     

All in all, I am happy with it and believe that in the end, it will be a much better effort than the first attempt.

--Casey

IMG_2805.JPGCurrent progress on the hood.  If all goes well, I may be casting by Sunday.