Sign in to follow this  
b-lever

Building new Workshop 4 bare walls

Well just got our 2nd move this year done sold our old house of years in April of this year (2016) moved into a Town House... Did not like city living so in August we bought ourselves a new to us place in the country .... So I am just starting a new Model space what I have is in our basement 4 wall and floor and ceiling bare any input for a dream space room size is 10x8 Have tons of storage space outside of the room this will be just the shop... Any ideas please 

b-lever,if there is one thing i have learned about the space we work in is to make it comfortable,and as much as possible before moving in.I built my fist garage 40 yrs and and have only one regret.I did not build and have the building ready to move in,so i tried to work and make improvements as i went.It made the job a lot harder with so much stuff in the way.No matter what you do,i wish you the best and look forward to seeing the end result.Rick

I agree. I can deal with small as long as I'm comfortable. Good lighting, Shelves and storage , music, comfy temp and a lockable door. That combo  makes my spot good. BUT my work bench is a 34" by 8 foot and no matter I still end up working in a cluttered 1 foot spot

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 0:22 PM, 41CHEVY said:

I still end up working in a cluttered 1 foot spot

Glad to see that I'm not the only one.  I have a ton of room desk/tabletop and like you, I work in a small messy area. 

• Like 1

Space utilization (or lack thereof) is my #1 enemy. I have kits stored in one room and I work on them in another. I do need to clear off some space on the workbench, I'm currently knee-deep in an auto repair shop diorama and I've been going back and forth between two tables with it. If I cleared off the bench I'd have room for the diorama plus plenty to spare, but I just don't have the gumption, and of course now I'm on a 10-pound lifting restriction until the end of the month, so that doesn't help.

I have a whole bedroom dedicated to modeling in the new house, right now I'm using three work areas, jumping from a service station diorama, to my Studebaker truck build, to a '47 Chevy build.