Sign in to follow this  
Casey

Diamond Reo

I got this kit from my uncle 10 plus years ago.  He had finished building the engine and it remained untouched until earlier this year when I decided to build it.  My original plan was to put the rear frame and suspension from an old ROG Peterbilt on it.  The rear frame section was a bit wider but I pressed on anyway and as I'm sure you can imagine, I was not happy with the tapered that resulted in the forward section.  Determined to make it work, I set out to narrow the frame, rear ends, et al to make it work but due the brittleness of the rear section, I was forced to abandon the idea.  That led me to order another kit to use for parts.  Not the most economical way to do it but I'm sure I will find a use for the rest of the parts.  Here's the current progress on the project.

Img_2342.jpg

I finally got to the point that I could mock it up.  The suspension was dropped about 2.5 scale inches, the sleeper was robbed from a snap Pete, the fuel tanks will moved to beneath the sleeper, Peterbilt battery boxes will be placed beneath the cab and a Peterbilt style cab panel will occupy the space where the kit battery boxes where.  I also built-up a custom front bumper for her and I will add a set of my single hump fenders.    

Img_2326.jpg

The frame was stretched (note the joints just forward of the rear suspension) and the suspension was lowered.

Img_2318.jpg

Stock rear suspension position.

Img_2317.jpg     

To lower the rear, I cut the stock alignment pegs (I guess that's what they are called) and removed the tabs that rest below the lower portion of the frame rail to allow the suspension to be mounted higher on the rails as seen above. 

Img_2321.jpg   

IMG_2320.JPG

Similarly, I removed the pegs and tabs and mounted the front suspension higher on the frame.

Img_2354.jpg 

To help keep the cab centered to allow it to sit better on the rear cab mount, I added a mount bracket with a centering tab that fits between the tow pegs on the kit frame mount.  The rear opening for the sleeper tunnel was enlarged to match the from AMT Pete sleeper panel that was grafted into the snap Pete sleeper.  The shortened ROG Pete drive shaft and carrier are also visible I this image (I was determined to use something from the old ROG Pete). 

Img_2356.jpgImg_2355.jpg

The tunnel was lengthened to allow a bit more room for the stacks and a spacer was added to keep sleeper parallel to the cab. 

Img_2333.jpgImg_2334.jpg

A couple of pics of the battery box.  I think I may cast these.  It easier than making them again and again and others may want one or two of them.

IMG_2346.JPG

Custom grill in-work.

Thanks for looking!

--Casey

• Like 1

This is going to be one awesome looking Truck.. you going to update it some square headlights ?? by chance 

24 minutes ago, b-lever said:

This is going to be one awesome looking Truck.. you going to update it some square headlights ?? by chance 

Thanks!  I was planning to go with the old school round lights but now that you have suggested square lights, I'm not sure.  I may have to change my mind :)

• Like 1

Lansing Pride, baby! B|

Keep the round lights- squares look out of place on any DR but a Giant. That being said, single round headlights might be interesting. It's really hard to improve on the front end of a Diamond. 

• Like 1

I have made a little progress.  The frame has been assembled and the base color has been applied to the motor and trans.

Img_2391[1].jpg

Img_2390[1].jpg

I also finished up the grill work save some minor touch-up on the black.

Img_2568[1].jpg

Lastly, I have decided on a paint scheme.

Img_2298[1].jpg

5 hours ago, dsldriver said:

Looking good! 

Thanks!  It is a stalled project at the moment.  I hope to get back on it soon.

Painted the chassis, added some ROG Pete wheels and tires to the rear, did a little more work on the motor and laid some paint on the hood. I still need to dial the color in on the exhaust manifold and turbo but, although it is a bit different than I originally planned, I think I am happy with the paint scheme on the hood. 

Img_2775[1].jpgIMG_2779.JPG

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:22 PM, Cornbinder said:

Love the way she's coming together. 

Thanks!  It has been a long time coming.

Called an audible on the paint.  Still needs some touch up and clear coat.  I couldn't resist a quick mock-up.  

paint.jpg

The more I look at the paint scheme the more I like it. I'm still thinking some large single round headlights would look fantastic on it. Or, something I don't think I've ever seen done on one of these before, keep the four stock-sized round lights, but instead of using the "two in one" bezels use a separate bezel for each lens. 

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 10:14 PM, Cornbinder said:

The more I look at the paint scheme the more I like it. I'm still thinking some large single round headlights would look fantastic on it. Or, something I don't think I've ever seen done on one of these before, keep the four stock-sized round lights, but instead of using the "two in one" bezels use a separate bezel for each lens. 

Thanks!  Maybe Mack headlights with the flat piece that goes behind them? (no Idea what the proper term is for them)

--Casey

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 9:52 PM, discodave said:

So cool! I never did pick this kit up...... now I want to. Thanks, lol!

Better get two or three!

--Casey

On 4/25/2017 at 7:01 PM, Casey said:

Better get two or three!

--Casey

Yeah, back when it was in the all black paint, box photo, the T-600 won the coin toss for the purchase.

52 minutes ago, discodave said:

Yeah, back when it was in the all black paint, box photo, the T-600 won the coin toss for the purchase.

The black paint box art is the kit I started with.  Bummed it off of my uncle years ago.

On 4/25/2017 at 10:00 PM, Casey said:

Thanks!  Maybe Mack headlights with the flat piece that goes behind them? (no Idea what the proper term is for them)

--Casey

I'd call them bezels.

19 minutes ago, Cornbinder said:

I'd call them bezels.

I would have thought that the bezel was the trim ring around a light but like I said I really have no idea.