Sign in to follow this  
Cornbinder

1969 Autocar A64F

I've actually been working on this for a little while now, but it's far along enough to at least look interesting.

12186626_918120224910302_913773431686954

12309557_931401266915531_386648751404732

I began with the AMT White Road Boss, and a set of styrene frame rails from TL Model Trucks. So far, here's a tally of what I've done.

AITM Autocar hood conversion. I filed away the cast in headlights and will be using the separate bezels and lenses from the WWS, which are still included with the Road Boss kit, despite not being needed. 

Front wheels, battery boxes, taillights, and (probably) mudflaps from the Autocar tractor kit. I'll also use that kit's hood side scripts rather than the cast lettering on the AITM hood. 

Lift axle made using spare bits and pieces from an AMT tanker. 

For power I'm leaning toward a V12 Detroit.... I don't know if I'll go with a resin one or just wait for the Super Boss kit to come back out. Yes, that's right... I said it... it has been confirmed that the Super Boss is making a return trip first quarter of this year. I'm good for a couple just for the engine. 

I may or may not go with a sleeper- I tend to favor day cabs, but this is kind of shaping up like an old Alaskan or East Coast hauler. For me adding a sleeper would be an unexpected twist.

I have decided on a color- Chrysler Forest Green pearl. I may go with some silver or gold accents, but don't hold me to that. 

I'll dig it out later, but I'll say that there really isn't much "detail" on the lift axle. I just added what I knew would be visible.

Finally got around to getting the chassis more or less sorted. I ended up shortening the wheelbase just a tad- about 30 scale inches. I also omitted my lift axle as I was never all that happy with it. The chassis is painted in the same Chrysler Forest Green pearl used as accent color on the wheels. Power will be from a GW Trucks Detroit V12, hopefully that will be worked out in a few days. 

100_0677.thumb.JPG.2c63737f8affccf5a32e3a99cb94bb92.JPG

Here is a shot of the engine and transmission in place. The engine is a Detroit V-12 from GW Trucks- it is hooked up to the Road Boss transmission.

100_0682.thumb.JPG.b9b4cf105c8e955ff42e7e2906b62cea.JPG

The A64B tapered rear frame rails were used, along with the tail lights, and a Pennsylvania plate was nabbed from the Revell auto transporter. 

100_0683.thumb.JPG.83971530b84e1c1754655e102bf3b42c.JPG

Fiberglass-nosed Autocars used an 18" battery box with an integral step. I modified the A64B battery boxes by narrowing them and making the steps from square plastic strip. 

100_0679.thumb.JPG.0f7ac28e52f88e9d5f4ba7e0b354b436.JPG

The narrowed box is up top, and the kit box is below.

100_0680.thumb.JPG.bb42a4a5a23de637f6d804c3e1fbed8c.JPG

Here are the finished boxes, with the steps installed, mounting brackets added, and re-scribed panel lines. 

It's possible. It's damned near impossible to see inside the cabs to these kits but if I do a little extra interior work I might cut away the side glass for the "rolled down" window look. In that case a second stick might be added.