Sign in to follow this  
Casey

Single Hump Fender

I'm going to need some for a planned project so I thought I would give building one a shot.  The inside of the fender is 1.1" wide (27.5") they are a tight fit on the ROG Peterbilt and AMT Autocar wheels/tires but I think they will be okay.

Any thoughts on the inside width and/or the overall look?

--Casey

Fender 1.jpg

I did a few test fits and it looks like I'll be rebuilding them.  Just a bit too narrow...

• Like 1

I've pondered making a few fenders like that. Did you roll a flat piece of plastic for the top, or use something that was already rounded, like a cut-down pill bottle?

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2015 at 11:46 PM, Cornbinder said:

I've pondered making a few fenders like that. Did you roll a flat piece of plastic for the top, or use something that was already rounded, like a cut-down pill bottle?

I thought I had replied to this but looks like I didn't.  On the one above I just used flat sheet styrene and beveled the corner.  However, I wanted to round the corners more and thus decided to build a new one to resin cast.   

• Like 1

As I mentioned in my previous post I decided to build a new fender to resin cast.  I thought it would be easier to build one side (center), resin cast it to make the other side and then add the center.  This was my first attempt at resin casting but after several failed attempts (left) at both making the mold and casting the part, I think I finally have results that I can work with (right).  I just had a couple of small air bubbles that can be easily filled.

56883f5d60db4_resincast1.thumb.jpg.2c134

I added the center portion of the fender a couple of days ago and I have poured half of the mold for the fender.  Waiting for it to cure so I can make the second half.  Wish me luck!

Img_1874.jpg.29f2ac63e334fb2921e13690098Img_1873.jpg.fd4bb5c2010ae74969439d896a1

• Like 2

The mold was cured today and I was finally able to cast my fenders.  There are very few bubbles and they have all been on the underside.  They will require a little sanding and possibly a little filler.  I think they turned out pretty damn good!

Img_1879.jpg.a6c10938efba5c859f847209015

Img_1880.jpg.1658787de2708c91f1a205eb2cf

Img_1881.jpg.e831862fb39a1f0923fc2d5cac3

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cornbinder said:

They look way better than my resin casting experiments, I will say that. 

I appreciate the kind words. Unfortunately, as I began to tinker with them I discovered that they were about 1/10th of an inch to wide.  I have reworked them and I have poured the first half of the mold.  I hope the this attempt turns out as well as the previous one.

Done!  They now fit snug on the ROG Peterbilt wheels and tires so I am happy.  Light sanding and possibly a little (very little filler) will be need but I think that is almost impossible to avoid.

5695c20c20ba7_Img_18821.jpg.ab04e5de8c16

On 9/27/2015 at 10:05 AM, Casey said:

I did a few test fits and it looks like I'll be rebuilding them.  Just a bit too narrow...

Those look really good Casey wow