Sign in to follow this  
Cornbinder

International LoneStar Day Cab

I started this back in May of 2012... I took a couple of year-long breaks from it during that time. It's going to be weird seeing this finished on the shelf, after seeing it sitting around unfinished on the work bench for so long!

The idea here was a custom tractor, but I didn't want to go with the long frame and polished everything look. Don't get me wrong, I like that look, but everybody's doing it these days. I went with a modest wheelbase, and used as little chrome/polished/stainless "shiny stuff" as I felt I could get away with. 

The day cab and Harley grille are from Models By Dave. I had originally planned to add the round Harley headlights, but I liked the look of the fenders without lights of any kinds... so let's just say the headlights are now in the spots where the factory fog lights used to reside. I blacked out the bottom part of the bumper, and went with Duplicolor School Bus Yellow/Tamiya Semi Gloss Black throughout. 

The fuel tanks are from a Peterbilt 359, as is the (modified) headache rack. The diamond plate rear fenders are from the Revell Kenworth snap kit. I made new mud flaps from thin plastic sheet. The diamond plate tool boxes came from AITM. The smoke stacks are polished K&S aluminum tubing.

The idea here was a "mild custom" semi tractor, something that could be taken to a show, but could still be used to pull a trailer and earn its keep the rest of the week. 

003_zpsirhixj13.jpg

004_zpsfoqjjyjs.jpg

005_zpsmuxyidqg.jpg

006_zpsq4lcpwpt.jpg

007_zpsccjpbmtw.jpg

Yes they are. Everything on the "business end" is from the kit aside from the mud flaps- I made those from some thinner plastic sheet.