Dennis

Anyone make 1950's conventional cab suitable for logging? 1:25

Not much luck doing search.  What I'd really like is a 1950's era log truck in 1:20 scale to use with that scale model logging railroad.  Don't think I'll find that.  On a gamble today, I picked up the AMT 1103 Peerless logging trailer in 1:25, new, $29.    Could be OK in that scale, but am having trouble finding a suitable 1950's vintage truck to hook it up to that would match scale.  AMT has a couple, but later years.......might have to adapt/bash????

Any tips/thoughts would be appreciated.  Not much out there in older conventionals that I can find.

Thanks, Dennis

Thank you.  I ordered AIT's Sterling kit.  I've always liked early Sterlings since I was a kid and saw them on the road.  Not cheap, but......   Now I need to research what base kit/chassis to buy to build the conversion on.  All AIT's kits/parts appear to be 1:25, which is what I've settled on.  

Back to more shopping/homework.....

On 9/20/2019 at 4:34 PM, Dennis said:

Thank you.  I ordered AIT's Sterling kit.  I've always liked early Sterlings since I was a kid and saw them on the road.  Not cheap, but......   Now I need to research what base kit/chassis to buy to build the conversion on.  All AIT's kits/parts appear to be 1:25, which is what I've settled on.  

I generally use the AMT Autocars  for any of the non Pete, KW Mack or IH kitsconversions     paul

Received the Sterling conversion kit from AIMT.  REALLY looks good.  Expensive, but I am glad I got it.  I think I'll take advice here and look for an AMT Reo or Autocar for it's chassis.  Not sure how, "drop in," it will end up being;  I'm sure some fitting will be required.  Likely will get the Autocar.  Thank you all for the help.

On 9/20/2019 at 4:34 PM, Dennis said:

Don't forget that Sterlings of that era were chain drive.

Well, dog-gone!!  I knew earlier Sterlings were chain drive but it never occurred to me the one I got from AIT fell into that category.  Now I have no idea what chassis to buy or what parts to chase to replicate the chain drive!!  For most vehicle models I've ever built, I always liked those where the wheels would turn.  I was expecting to achieve that here as well, but a chain drive mechanism is a real challenge.  Anyone have thoughts as how to proceed?  Anyone done an, "active," chain drive chassis?????

2 hours ago, Dennis said:

Well, dog-gone!!  I knew earlier Sterlings were chain drive but it never occurred to me the one I got from AIT fell into that category.  Now I have no idea what chassis to buy or what parts to chase to replicate the chain drive!!  For most vehicle models I've ever built, I always liked those where the wheels would turn.  I was expecting to achieve that here as well, but a chain drive mechanism is a real challenge.  Anyone have thoughts as how to proceed?  Anyone done an, "active," chain drive chassis?????

Hees a few photos of a 1940's 1950's Sterling drive set up. The differential is in the center of the 2 axles.

Look at Tamiya, Top Studio and Model Factory Hiro, they make a few 1/12 and 1/16 scale Motorcycle chain and sprocket set up detail sets.

https://www.hiroboy.com/112_Motorcycle_Chain_Set__P941--product--2135.html

tam12633.jpg.0ee52e39de8bf8d175917a1594decf91.jpg

133009515_Sterling-Chainfrontview.thumb.JPG.b507c03e54cbabdcf203d91967168ec9.JPG

398959766_Sterling-Chain-rearview.thumb.JPG.eae675b2e67bd493f71283705578b354.JPG

Sterling-Chain-Drive-Vintage-Truck_57.thumb.JPG.08a22b1e36b89b38d4ab96b9fb29e3a1.JPG

Beautiful photographs.  Thank you.  Really pulls at me to re-create such a system in the model.  Not sure if I'm up to it.......will have to experiment.  The motorcycle parts links are appreciated.....I might have to look into one to give it a try.  Wonder if anyone else has ever done it?  

On 9/28/2019 at 5:41 PM, Dennis said:

Beautiful photographs.  Thank you.  Really pulls at me to re-create such a system in the model.  Not sure if I'm up to it.......will have to experiment.  The motorcycle parts links are appreciated.....I might have to look into one to give it a try.  Wonder if anyone else has ever done it?  

Here is an alternative for you from the Sterling Factory.  :)  You CAN use the AutoCar rears in place of chain drives.   Paul.

d62a4ba8d2fb48599b67eba4-vi.jpg

86f7ef4481a54649b4d41f60-vi.jpg

You could use the new release Autocar Dump Truck suspension and drive train as a update 

A64B:  Thank you for your reply.  Actually, I have already purchased the Autocar tandem tractor.  Would this be any different in terms of undercarriage from your dump truck reference?  Everything around our house gets fouled up November through end-of-year.  I'll be lucky to get started on much until January, but that gives me time to squeeze in stocking up on parts, etc.