Question

Hello all and hope everyone is well. My wife is getting me a new kit for fathers Day and it will be from one of the following all AMT.

GMC Astro 95

Autocar A64B

Mack Cruiseliner

I built all of these 40 something years ago and at almost 58 my mind is a little fuzzy on assembly. So my questions are as follows:

What issues are prevalent? Example hinges don't fit right. Cab sits too high. The exhaust tubing needs attention. The mirrors don't fit correctly without work. Engine has fit issues.

Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you.

13 answers to this question

Yes to all of it, lol. Old molds , nothing fits quite right and instructions are so/so . Lots of test fitting , filing and sanding required. The Astro /Titan cabs sit way too high. I know, great help huh? But these kits require some patience, but can make for a beautiful build when done.

Thank you for the reply. May actually go with the Revell KW W900 Aerodyne "Snap Tite" kit instead. It will go along with my Peterbilt 359 "Snap Tite" I built last October/November. They ain't complex but are fun builds nonetheless. Pic of the 359 is below.

IMG_2700.jpg

Edited by Jersee Jerry55
I can't proofread. My bad.

On 6/12/2019 at 3:37 PM, Jersee Jerry55 said:

Thank you for the reply. May actually go with the Revell KW W900 Aerodyne "Snap Tite" kit instead. It will go along with my Peterbilt 359 "Snap Tite" I built last October/November. They ain't complex but are fun builds nonetheless. Pic of the 359 is below.

IMG_2700.jpg

KW W900 Aerodyne (as seen below) just ordered. I start her upon arrival (weather permitting). I'm hoping she comes out as good OR better than my 359 and that's the best model I ever built. There are a lot of inspirations floating around the Web so the possibilities are endless. Only thing I need to get is the visor for the KW. I assume it with have to be resin cast. If anyone has suggestions on where to get visors I'm all ears

918mAA-mj1L._SX679_.jpg

• Like 1

Looking forward to seeing this built! I would suggest KJ at Double Take Replicas for the visor. He has them for $4.00. His quality is great and his service is second to none.

1 hour ago, Jersee Jerry55 said:

Thanks. Actually may be looking for one of those more aggressive drop visors. I think they sell them on this website as Revell Snap KW visors.

If you want to go that route, they are not very hard to make. I've made a couple on some of my builds.

11 minutes ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

If you want to go that route, they are not very hard to make. I've made a couple on some of my builds.

We shall see. Also thinking about doing a two tone cab with the darker shade starting at the top of the front fenders and covering the bottom of the cab.

Edited by Jersee Jerry55

On 6/18/2019 at 11:06 AM, Jersee Jerry55 said:

We shall see. Also thinking about doing a two tone cab with the darker shade starting at the top of the front fenders and covering the bottom of the cab.

Well primed her over the weekend and laid down the Model Master White lacquer last night. While going to give her a second coat on the hood dopey old me dropped the hood off the stand. Nice scratch marks were the result. Will sand, prime, and re shoot the hood. Paint and I don't mix very well. Live and learn.

On 7/8/2019 at 11:53 AM, 41CHEVY said:

Glad I'm not the only one who manages to get a bug or drop the painted part.  :)

Paul,

I suppose we both have the issues. Here are pictures so far of the project. I was able to correct the hood boo boo pretty well. 

W900 001.jpg

W900 002.jpg

W900 003.jpg

W900 004.jpg

Just now, 41CHEVY said:

Who makes the purple?   Paul

Paul,

Good morning. It's Model Master Ultraviolet Pearl (!997 Ford color) lacquer rattle can.

Edited by Jersee Jerry55

On 7/11/2019 at 9:38 AM, Jersee Jerry55 said:

Paul,

Good morning. It's Model Master Ultraviolet Pearl (!997 Ford color) lacquer rattle can.

Thanks I like it for my 1997 F150 kit.