Sign in to follow this  
Sam I am

Transtar 4300 restoration

I have a few restorations going from old built ups that I traded/ebayed over the years. This one was highly modified with a stretched frame, scratch built sleeper, different engine with wiring, custom painted stripes including hand painted pinstripes,  and a fully articulating rear suspension.  It has been a challenge to restore.

20190323_141058.jpg

20190323_135948.jpg

20190323_140018.jpg

20190323_140049.jpg

20190323_141339.jpg

Back in 1976, my wife built a model 4300 for her dad as his personal truck was an IH 4300. She did a great job for her first foray but over 40 years takes it's toll! I started a restoration on it recently and ordered the new 4300 kit for parts. Found out they are 2 different animals. The older kit had the spoked wheels, a shorter hood, round headlamp bezels, a different engine, plain seats and no sleeper. fortunately, I was able to reuse most of those parts and I did need the sleeper as her dad's truck did have one. His truck had the longer hood, but I kept the original kit engine and just moved the cab back. His truck had one of the special paint schemes which is giving me a little trouble but hoping to remedy that soon. I've weathered the frame so it looks more like a working truck. i'll have to post some shots, although I don't have any photos of the original model. Good luck with your rebuilds, they can be tricky.

On 4/5/2019 at 5:29 AM, jpage said:

Back in 1976, my wife built a model 4300 for her dad as his personal truck was an IH 4300. She did a great job for her first foray but over 40 years takes it's toll! I started a restoration on it recently and ordered the new 4300 kit for parts. Found out they are 2 different animals. The older kit had the spoked wheels, a shorter hood, round headlamp bezels, a different engine, plain seats and no sleeper. fortunately, I was able to reuse most of those parts and I did need the sleeper as her dad's truck did have one. His truck had the longer hood, but I kept the original kit engine and just moved the cab back. His truck had one of the special paint schemes which is giving me a little trouble but hoping to remedy that soon. I've weathered the frame so it looks more like a working truck. i'll have to post some shots, although I don't have any photos of the original model. Good luck with your rebuilds, they can be tricky.

Start a wip, I would love to see it.

So I now have the cab and chassis sorted, and thanks to a fellow builder,  the missing steering column and a new set of air horns.

20190325_172204.jpg

20190404_154950.jpg

20190404_154935.jpg

20190404_154928.jpg