Sign in to follow this  
41CHEVY

Bandag Defience build. 8/12 up date

Kind of a combined post. Don't know why I didn't post here when I started it last February.  Here is the build post in order.   Paul

After gathering parts and info and finally seeing the truck in a private collection I'm starting what will be a long and slow build.
Built and detailed the Allison V12 (less the 24 exhaust pipes), started on the V drive unit and started converting the cab to an early single light cab.   Paul

2v2JwdUR5xAhT9W.jpgHosted on Fotki
2v2JwdUkjxAhT9W.jpgHosted on Fotki
2v2JwdUi8xAhT9W.jpgHosted on Fotki
2v2J6uJdWxAhT9W.jpgHosted on Fotki
2v2J6uJ5nxAhT9W.jpgHosted on Fotki
2v2J6uJq5xAhT9W.jpgHosted on Fotki
2v2J6uJFgxAhT9W.jpgHosted on Fotki
2v2JB8TUFxAhT9W.jpgHosted on Fotki
2v2JB8TuyxAhT9W.jpgHosted on Fotki
2v2JB8TJ5xAhT9W.jpgHosted on Fotki
2v2JB8TENxAhT9W.jpgHosted on Fotki

Edited by 41CHEVY

Part3

Re did the chassis, rear suspension and engine location. Made the dead head axle and mounted it up. Machined a shorty set of PVC fuel tanks now I need to make brackets for them. Started to make Tyrones "special wheels up.
The cab now has the blanked out single headlights. I made up the rood spoiler from 7/16 tube sliced in thirds and .020 plastic sheet. The new rear window is done and in it's first coat of primer.   Paul

2v2JtqA2nxAhT9W.jpgHosted on Fotki
2v2JRhdkLxAhT9W.jpgHosted on Fotki
2v2JRLZzCxAhT9W.jpgHosted on Fotki
2v2JRLQ2gxAhT9W.jpgHosted on Fotki
2v2JRLZ8VxAhT9W.jpgHosted on Fotki

Part 4

Seems like for ever since I ordered the tubing and started to make a bending jig and a cutting jig for the final pipes. So here is the work. 1/16  aluminum tube bent to 88 degrees. I needed 24 but ended up making 30 because some of the bend radius was not tight enough. Made a cut off jig from a piece of scrap plastic floor from an old AMT Funnycar, a length of old chassis channel and a piece of 1/4 x 1/4 square stock. That gave me a check fixture for the bends to all be tweaked to be close and a final length for the long ends. Than set quietly and polished each pipe. Set the angles and C.A.'d them into the exhaust ports I drilled into the heads. When the slow C.A. got stiff I aligned them all to have the same backward sweep angle. After the C.A. was fully cured I was able to line the pipes up straight to the Rocker covers and lightly sand them with a 100 grit sanding stick to even the ends visually.  
next is to gloss black the chassis and re machine a set of fuel tanks, the PVC ones I previously made are just not right in my eyes.  Paul

2v2Jg4WJMxAhT9W.jpgHosted on Fotki
2v2Jg4WUUxAhT9W.jpgHosted on Fotki
2v2Jg4WHoxAhT9W.jpgHosted on Fotki
2v2Jg4gzzxAhT9W.jpgHosted on Fotki
2v2Jg4grUxAhT9W.jpgHosted on Fotki