Sign in to follow this  
Cornbinder

1966 Reo GH

This *should* be a fairly simple project. The idea here is to take the 1972-ish Diamond Reo kit and backdate it to a 1966 Reo GH. The main cosmetic difference is the hood. Though the shapes and basic cues are similar, the Reo does have a few unique features.

Here's an example of a "late model" Reo, just before White Motor Co. merged them with the Diamond T division...

31540139512_46e4e223d1_k.jpgREO, very late model by Dick Copello, on Flickr

Here's an ad touting the benefits of Royalite with a similar hood but a slightly different grille insert.

reo nose.jpg

And here's where I stand with the project so far...

reo gh.jpg

The basic hood from the Diamond Reo kit was assembled as intended. I stripped the chrome from the grille and lower fender trim and added that as well- it'll be treated to Bare Metal foil later on. I filed the grille smooth and glued it into place, then created a new grille surround and trim from Evergreen strip. 

My big problem might be getting the tainty Reo V emblems right. :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cornbinder said:

This *should* be a fairly simple project. The idea here is to take the 1972-ish Diamond Reo kit and backdate it to a 1966 Reo GH. The main cosmetic difference is the hood. Though the shapes and basic cues are similar, the Reo does have a few unique features.

Here's an example of a "late model" Reo, just before White Motor Co. merged them with the Diamond T division...

31540139512_46e4e223d1_k.jpgREO, very late model by Dick Copello, on Flickr

Here's an ad touting the benefits of Royalite with a similar hood but a slightly different grille insert.

reo nose.jpg

And here's where I stand with the project so far...

reo gh.jpg

The basic hood from the Diamond Reo kit was assembled as intended. I stripped the chrome from the grille and lower fender trim and added that as well- it'll be treated to Bare Metal foil later on. I filed the grille smooth and glued it into place, then created a new grille surround and trim from Evergreen strip. 

My big problem might be getting the tainty Reo V emblems right. :)

Plaststruct makes polystyrene letters in various scales., I used them on a Diamond T conversion and filed them to the "deco" style I needed.   Paul

19 hours ago, Cornbinder said:

I've got a few sets of the Plastruct letters- it's more the emblem I'm worried about. That dainty little V-crown thing. :)

If you have a part with the V and Crown on it, make an aluminum foil pressing of it and cast it in 5 minute Epoxy.

Foil copying (or, foil casting) is done by taking a piece of metal foil--generally aluminum kitchen foil, because it's heavier and stiffer than BMF, laying that over an engraved surface detail of a model body or part, embossing it into that detail (could be a script, a badge, a molded-on door handle, for example). Once it's embossed, it has the impression of the detail you want to copy. Simply lift off the embossed piece of foil, gently lay it on a flat surface, hollow side up, spray with a light spray of Pam or other oily substance to act as a mold release, then mix up some 5-minute epoxy, and fill the embossed foil with that, and allow to cure completely.

Once cured, the epoxy casting can be removed from its foil "mold", sanded on the back side to a flat surface, any flashing trimmed away, and then glued in place on the body shell, or wherever it is to be used. It can then be painted, foiled with BMF, whatever is wanted as you finish the project.

5 hours ago, Casey said:

Awesome!  Are you going to put all those license plates on it like the picture?

Nope, just a Michigan plate. :)

1 hour ago, 41CHEVY said:

If you have a part with the V and Crown on it, make an aluminum foil pressing of it and cast it in 5 minute Epoxy.

That's what I plan to do, but I'll still need to make that crown somehow. There is one I could use on the Diamond Reo emblem but it's barely there as far as how well-defined it is. I do have an idea or two in mind though. :)