Sign in to follow this  
41CHEVY

Oshkosh M915 semi

This arrived in the mail today. I'll be starting is this weekend when my wife head to New Hampshire for family things. Whee! a weekend of binge building!    Paul

TSM1015_zpsa2x5eaty.jpg~original

2000%20M915%20a_zps6yhzql9f.jpg~original

14 hours ago, discodave said:

Very cool, I can't wait to see what is the plan.......

Leaning towards a Forestry Service semi for moving forest fire equipment, a Forestry Service dump or a 3 axle dump I saw in Massachusetts.

file0030.jpg

m915_5486.jpg

8f8538d4-6f08-4768-b94e-8d698863f211-11042015-cropped-M920 Dump Truck.JPG

It sure makes a nice looking dump truck...hint...hint... :)

--Casey

• Like 1

3 hours ago, plastic trucker said:

I wonder how hard it would be to convert the Ertl Paystar 5000 to this? Maybe add the Alaskan KW Fenders with a scratched built nose?

Actually Kevin, I bought this to scale up.The Paystar cab is very close and needs a few detail mods. Interior aside from the AC and trans selector is good including the dash board. Minor mods to the hood sides to make them taller. The fenders would be easier to scratch build. Grill, bumper and guard require the most scratch building.. The chassis is some what easy with only four cross members and a trans mount, Two of the cross members are tube. BUT~ The front and rear of the rails, brackets, battery box, fuel tank and chassis fittings will require a ton of scratch building. Wheels are 2 hole Budds. Engine is a Cummins NTC 400, trans needs to be an Allison modified into a Cat Semi Auto. . . pretty easy. Rears and suspension from the Paystar will work perfect. The full brake system is disk brakes on both steer axle and the rears A few of the Italeri trailers have them.. This one I'm doing is the basis for the drawings and parts list for my 1/25 scale build coming later.    Paul

The pair of chassis are on the bench. I'll snap a few photos tomorrow when the batteries are up. Measuring the 1/35 scale chassis and converting up to 1 to 1  and than down to 1/25 scale is a bit tedious!   Paul

Got the 1/35 chassis fitted up as a reference for what will be a M917AO. The basis for the 1/25 is a I.H. Paystar 5000. So far the front axle is moved forward and new mounts made to raise the springs up by .060. The rear suspension was raised .080 to get the correct height also. New tubular cross members were made along with the rear cab mount. Front bumper / grill guard mounts are being made up. Still a bit to go. Rear chassis cross member, rear spring over load brackets,  remove front shirts, small chassis bits, front cab mounts and power pack mounts. Biggest is waiting for my Tichey scale nuts , bolts and rivets to show up.  Paul

Edited by 41CHEVY

Nice work.  The scratch-built parts look great!  Waiting for the next update....

Got a bit more done. The rear cross member is made up, cab mounts and front bumper brackets are almost done, battery box and air tanks are in. I machined a fuel tank from PVC on my lathe. I scratch built up a driven front axle for it too and mounted up the rear boogies. Next is the lift axle with mounts dualies and a hydraulic tank from PVC.   Paul

OSH11_zps99zl2xce-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Edited by 41CHEVY

What size(s) of the Tichey scale nuts are using and where did you purchase them?

Some I no longer have the tags, but most common I use are #8084 Hex bolt and washer, #8081 Hex nut and bolt, # 8080 Hex nut and washer and  #8076 .050 rivets.

I get them from Mega-Hobby on line.  They are all HO so scale  size kind of goes away. :)   Paul

https://www.megahobby.com/search.php?search={q=tichy nuts}

https://www.megahobby.com/search.php?search={q=tichy rivets}

https://www.megahobby.com/search.php?search={q=tichy bolts}

https://www.megahobby.com/search.php?search={q=tichy star}

Got some more done on both chassis. The 1/25 has the fuel tank steps made up andmade up a lift axle from Pete part box goodies and Evergreen. Converted the Alco's in to 2 hole Budds,made up the Transfer Case and cross member. Added drive shafts and made working steering all the way to the box. The box is shortened a bit and fitted temporally on the chassis. Got started o the cab and floor to convert to the AM General- Freightliner cab.
The 1/35 chassis is pretty much done less fifth wheel plate and a few lights.   Paul

OSH10_zpsh5scr6no-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

OSH9_zpsfvxg8bpm-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

OSH6A_zpssse2l9wq-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

OSH5A_zpssuxfei6a-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

OSH4A_zpsfllnawxu-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Edited by 41CHEVY

Some progress. I got chassis almost done, Cummins finalized, fenders almost done,the 1/25 dash board is all scratch built, both interiors finished except for cab junk, cab mods are done. Next is to install power pack, add wheels and tires to  locate fenders and cab. Than the fun begins. The 1/25 hood assembly needs to be extended a scale foot and 3 inches and the grill surround made up.
The 1/35 chassis is done less pogo stick and air lines. If Trumpeter ever makes 1/25 truck kits with the detail that is in the 1/35 kit, they'll dominate the market. this has a 7 piece fifth wheel and 5 piece mounting plate. Even the hollow rubber tires has all the lettering and side wall details. The 1/35 M915 is going to be in military colors and the 1/25 M917 dump will be done as a surplus unit bought and done in civilian colors, hence the mismatched drivers seat.   Paul

OSH8_zpswc1ovecf-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

OSH7_zpsgmrnfxq3-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

OSH6_zpszteyif9g-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

OSH5_zpsygjj2gga-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

OSH4_zpshe6gmwoq-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

OSH3_zps4mlqpdzv-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

OSH2_zpsxqj8x2zu-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

OSH1A_zps2x9rfbvm-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Edited by 41CHEVY

Up on wheels, cab and interior are painted, assembled and located on the chassis. The fender mounts are done there is a few modifications to the fender to cab area but it is pretty minor. I had to make tthe fenders so they will slid in to mount to do the paint and fit the hood assembly. I had to lengthen the I.H. hood over a scale foot in the front and add 6 scale inches to the height of the side panels The hood and grill are done less the line scribbling and mesh installed. Air filter housing, piping and elbow for exhaust stack is next.   Paul

osh2_zpsf719kfzf-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

osh3_zpszszjvd83-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

osh4_zps1nq1ec2l-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

osh8_zpshc1jx0ud-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

osh7_zps3nt5gaou-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

osh6_zpseurjoj52-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

osh5_zpsa7ftltrn-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Edited by 41CHEVY