Sign in to follow this  
DRIPTROIT 71

1973 Road Commander Aerodyne

This is a new project. The cab is fiberglass. I think that it was from Jaymar. Fiberglass is proving to be very aggravating by the way. It is hard as a brick and very thin and brittle. The aerodyne roof is from the KW snap with a little modifications.

Here's the inspiration:

32937417606_dbb5af21c8_b.jpgWhite Road Commander 1 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

Here's my progress so far:

32134490764_97de6ebb01_h.jpgIMG_2089 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

32163823423_527b4e1586_h.jpgIMG_2091 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

32163816193_4aee731d1d_h.jpgIMG_2092 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

32868247952_0c8a3d8f97_h.jpgIMG_2095 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

• Like 1

Very cool.  Nice job integrating the Aerodyne roof.  Please keep us updated on its progress.

Also, that is the first fiberglass model part that I have ever seen.  Were they common at any point?

--Casey 

Thanks Casey!

Conversion kits have been around a lot longer than I realized. The first one that I ever saw was a 351 Peterbilt in the early 90's. I think it was by Illini. It seems like that over the years casters have tried various products for casting. I was talking to Bob at Illini a few months back and he said that he used to add aluminum powder to resin for his products. He said eventually he realized that there was no real benefit to that. I think fiberglass probably falls into that category. It was possibly a failed attempt at trying something new. I don't know if fiberglass was ever common, but I have seen others including; a 7400 White, an F model Mack and R700 Mack hoods. There is one benefit to fiberglass. It is very thin and not bulky like some resin kits, and it's very light, unlike many resin kits. In my opinion though, the problems that come with fiberglass far exceed the benefits.

Turned out real good from what I can tell.  Are you going with a shorter wheelbase and more of a working truck look or something custom?  I'm sure it will be awesome either way but a large car road commode would be different.

On 3/6/2017 at 7:20 AM, Casey said:

Turned out real good from what I can tell.  Are you going with a shorter wheelbase and more of a working truck look or something custom?  I'm sure it will be awesome either way but a large car road commode would be different.

Thanks Casey! I'm planning to make a 70's era Mayflower truck with a short wheelbase. It's going to be a tandem with air ride, but the back axle will be a tag. Kind of a poor man's custom of the day.

• Like 1

Very nice work on the Aerodyne roof section. The entire truck is looking good good match to the Mayflower colors too.

Fiberglass was common before resin got more user friendly. I did a lot of resin kits in the mid to late 1970's with the grey industrial resin and it was a horror, but the only game in town then.. As for the glass , I have and ancient MACK  B model in fiberglass and it is probably on of the best detailed ones of any B. Opening hood and doors    Paul

Thanks for all the comments guys!!

I worked on the interior today. This is the bucket out of the back yard shed 7400. I modified the dog box to resemble the later 7400's and early Road Commanders. I left the back of the driver's seat hollow because it will not be seen once it is in the cab.

34414730271_5f72e33516_h.jpgIMG_2699(1) by Brian Smith, on Flickr

34502795066_04b96792f9_h.jpgIMG_2694 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

34383279392_1944e7169c_h.jpgIMG_2692 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

Nice. the cab clutter is a good touch. Needs a thermos and a samich.....:)    Paul

• Like 1

Thanks Paul!!! I would like to make one of those old red plaid looking thermoses. For now, I added a couple of 8-tracks, Merle Haggard and Johnny Cash. The player will be over head. It has Dave Dudley in it.

34579440576_974f17e658_h.jpgIMG_2712 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

• Like 1

The tattle tale and the dryer came out great. I used defeat the hub o meters with an old rotary dial phone magnet and aluminum duct tape.   :)     Paul

8 hours ago, 41CHEVY said:

Very nice! What did you use for the paneling in the bunk? It looks real!   Paul

My mother-in-law works in the office of a veneer plant. She brings me scraps of veneer that are usually thrown away and that is what I used. I just scribe lines on the veneer.

• Like 1