Sign in to follow this  
Cornbinder

Two Stars- One dim, one bright

Here are the two White Western Star 4800 tractors I've finished. First, the dim one...

008_zpstvx90e9j.jpg

009_zpstagwkvaa.jpg

010_zpsoblomdcd.jpg

011_zpsvbwanrgu.jpg

012_zpse25m3kub.jpg

This junky one was built while I waited on paint and adhesives to dry on the other one. This is an original T546 kit, which differs from the current reissue with it's skinny Firestone tires, crappy decal sheet, and Western Star logo mud flaps. I used only the mud flaps- the decals are left over from the Round2 reissue. I repowered this with a CAT, and used the leaf spring rear suspension and the rear wheels from a White Freightliner Dual Drive. That kit also coughed up the tires... the original Firestones just looked a bit too dainty for me. I wanted a rig that had lived a hard life, but wasn't quite ready for the scrap heap. This Star isn't quite supernova... but it's getting pretty close to white dwarf! 

Now here's the bright, twinkly one...

006_zpsqzqfiest.jpg

007_zpsu7tkvjiv.jpg

008_zpsbonrrj2r.jpg

009_zps1u5q9m4a.jpg

010_zpsjnljodi1.jpg

This one's a bit more "custom" as you might have noticed! I stretched the frame, and installed a Detroit 8v71 from a LaFrance pumper. I used a long fuel tank from a Road Boss and reconfigured it slightly so I could have long tanks on both sides. Let's just say the batteries are underneath one of the deck plates. The mirrors, roof AC and horns are from an Italeri parts set, and the rear fenders came from a Revell Pete 359. I used a Freighliner air dam under the bumper and made my own Detroit Diesel mud flaps... just in case the noise coming from the straight pipes didn't tip you off as to what just passed you. 

Eventually I will build a matching lowboy for this, and chain the crusty one down to it as a load. But in the meantime...

011_zpsjtah5x6h.jpg

Here it is with a Moebius Great Dane 53' reefer van. Other than the Class A Budd 2-hole wheels and the reefer decals  from modeltruckin.com, the trailer is box stock. It will eventually be hooked up to a ProStar.

• Like 1