Sign in to follow this  
Cornbinder

1982 Peterbilt 359 Custom

I've been buying the Revell Peterbilt 359 snap kits for years. For being snap kits they're actually not too bad (aside from the terribly-fitting tires and visible snap tabs on the cab), and they're cheap. If you want that Cat engine or what have you, you tend not do feel as bad about hacking into a $25 kit as you would a $60+ kit. But I always wanted to do something crazy and, you know, BUILD one. But I wasn't about to leave it box stock! Oh, no.

I set about building something of a mild custom. I began with the grille.

006.JPG

It is the stock kit piece, but I removed the molded headlights and brackets. I also removed some mold seams, and scribed in the missing cut line for the grille crown. Headlight brackets from a round-light 359 were modified and fitted with headlights from a Revell '29 Model A Roadster kit. I also cut out the grille mesh and replaced it with some grooved plastic sheet, which I believe was meant to be for a steel roof in 1:48 scale. The red oval is from the Revell decal sheet- it may or may not stay there. The hood ornament was also removed- I may reinstall it, I may use another style, or I may leave it off entirely. I'll know once more progress is made and the Pete "tells me what it wants".

001.JPG

I also began the "daycab-ification", by cutting away the molded sleeper and the portion of the sleeper floor molded to the chassis. I may go with a flat panel, or one more like this...

lrg-01.jpg

I may not even modify the wheelbase. 

Plenty more to come-further modifications including straight pipes and possibly even an extended hood. I'm not planning for anything over the top- just a nicely-done custom job, but something that would still be practical as a working tractor. 

• Like 1

Stuff like this is why nowadays, when I see something aftermarket I like, I grab it ASAP. I miss out on way too much cool stuff waiting.

4 hours ago, Anthony Oteri said:

That sounds like a good idea, I like that direction

Check your PMs.  :)

Just to prove that I am 1- still technically alive, and... 2- still making some progress on something, here it is wearing it's new shoes- courtesy of Moebius. 

003_zpsuugoic3j.jpg

Good to hear that you are still above the frost line.  If not for you and Anthony, this place would be ghost town.  Maybe others will eventually join but I am beginning to wonder.

I'll be throwing a set of those on my COE Freightliner WIP. 

I'm not even in the frame of mind to discuss the state of truck modeling online at this moment. xD

Might be because my order from GW Trucks showed up today.

003_zps6mkbxddb.jpg

After applying the patented frame stretcher apparatus (sadly, damaging the steering box in the process), the hood fit like a glove. Once the fender mounting holes were opened up they, too, snapped into place. I also lowered it a tad- mostly by taking material out of the front leaf spring mounting pads and a little off the tops of each air bag. I'm going with a flat cab wall and I'm leaning toward an oval-shaped rear window. 

4 hours ago, Casey said:

Looking good CB.  Will that hood fit other ROG 359s?

No idea there. Being that it is 1:25 you could probably make it work on one.

• Like 1

Yeah, that Frame-Stretcher Apparatus ™ can wreak some serious havoc on molded details. B| I think I'll eventually end up with all of Gary's stuff at some point, so at the very least I can chronicle all of it online. 

Not really much progress, other than robbing a vestigial 359 cab mount included in the 352 Pacemaker kit for use in this 359. It may be hidden under a deck plate by the time it's all said and one, but oh well, at least I'll know it's there. xD

001_zpshkw3j4t5.jpg

Work continues!

The fenders were modified to give them an "old-school" kind of look, and to eliminate the huge gap between the fender lip and the tops of the tires.

016_zpsi8mllhra.jpg

I also built up the kit bumper to a deep-draw bumper. I see 1:1 Pete's with fenders like these, but the bumper just has straight edges, and I just think it looks weird. I prefer the bumpers which continue the arc of the wheel opening, so that's what I did with mine. 

017_zpsnujlm68h.jpg

And now a quick mockup of the modified (but still unfinished) fenders and bumper with the grille in place, just to see where I stand. 

018_zpsik07izsm.jpg

• Like 3

VERY minor update. xD

002_zpss4gt4t5z.jpg

A swan hood ornament was stolen from a Monogram '39 Chevy sedan delivery and perched atop the grille. A cab visor from Models By Dave also showed up today and will (hopefully) find it's way on there soon. 

• Like 1